A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th June 2017, 03:07 PM

David,
No bloody chance , and even if I do I would cancel the payment within 22 seconds (approx 5 deep slow breaths in and out) and will immediately start the painful decision process

Tony,
So hold on, you guys don't run recommended 41/39 PSI pressures ???
Why?? Isn't that the main cause of excessive wear on the inside and outside of the tyre?

Glyn,
Thanks, that's another vote to Goodyears
You should try the southbound clockwise part of M25, you would stop complaining about the tyre noise, ''they howl like wolves at the moon'' as Tony said.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 15th June 2017, 03:49 PM

How about P Zero Rosso??
Are they worst or better than P Zero for what I need?

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 15th June 2017, 04:54 PM

I find tyre pressures are an argumentative subject. I asked on this forum a while back and the reccomendations were as varied as the interior colours

So I settled on 36 all round. On cold mornings they are often reading 33 but after a few minutes they warm up to 36. On long trips they settle at 38 no matter the outside temp. They do not step up/down in quad synch and often vary by two or three degrees until they reach running temp.

But then again I run on tractor fuel and don't cane it very often, management won't let me.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 15th June 2017, 11:52 PM

If I were running the standard size tyre, I would certainly use the pressures as recommended on the filler cap.

My understanding is that with a non-standard size though, there's a different amount of rubber and a different volume of air in the tyre, so a different pressure is required for the tyre to behave in the same way as factory spec.

I canvassed this forum for recommended tyre pressures for the 275 size and someone kindly told me what their user manual said. Sorry, I've since forgotten the good samaritan and the pressure, but I've been following it ever since.

I'm happy to be schooled in this topic though - nothing would soothe my OCD more than being able to use standard pressures on non-standard tyres.

2008 Audi S8
Old 16th June 2017, 08:00 AM

So now this subject makes a little turn into Pressure Lane

I'm reading for 275/35/20 36 all round, 38F 41R, 41 all round, 36F 39R. It will take me few more weeks just to decide on pressures before putting the tyres on
Isn't the 41 value for the full load, which in my case hardly ever is.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 16th June 2017, 10:37 AM

On My old D2 FL S8 on the standard 18" wheels, it was almost unflappable, regardless of the tyres. I typically went with cheap and it did great. I did once get it loose grip on the back on a quiet back road when really thrashing it. Think the gravel may have been loose. It taught me not to be an absolute pillock
I recall once taking it into the garage to get a couple of tyres and walking away with all four as i'd got down to the cords. Impressively this was just after a load of snow when I went from London to Birmingham and the M1 and M6 got down to two lanes as the far outside was too full of snow. Most people were in the inside lane bumper to bumper which I thought dangerous and stupid. I was still happily going reasonable in the middle with big braking distances (engine only)
Ended up having to do housing estates through Birmingham as the main roads were jammed with buses etc that couldn't go up an incline. Auto is great for traction as you just let it slowly build up. Engine brake rather than pedals and lots of anticipation. You may have traction due to the Quattro system but stopping power is non exsistant!

My D3 A8 20" i'm on Uniroyal Rainsport3 which seem pretty good. Saftywise wet is the most dangerous apart from snow and ice which non of the general performance tyres will do well in and in the UK these days is rare anyway. Swapping to Winter/summer tyres can make a big difference though it carries expense and is probably better suited to rear wheel drive cars.

I've got an RX8 which if you want tail happy fun is awesome for teaching car dynamics as it's very controlable, but avoid the wet. Same with my Smart car which is rear engine, rear wheel and tiny wheel base making a flash heavy downpoor more than exciting!

If you want grip, you need the sticky stuff, but because it's soft and sticky it'll wear faster. Material dynamics almost make this one unavoidable!

BTW I have a similar tricky junction on my way home each day. Right turn junction across a 60mph road. Blip the pedal for speed/acceloration, cross/turn and then add power!

Lee
Old 16th June 2017, 11:47 AM

It's especially annoying when is wet, you can't pull away fast due to rear wheels spinning, ESP kicking in slowing the car right down which looks more embarrassing than spectacular or back steps out even more so you are joining the traffic in drift mode sideways.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 16th June 2017, 03:22 PM

Joining traffic sideways sounds spectacular!

So, what did you decide? You were buying today weren't you?

2008 Audi S8
Old 16th June 2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
Joining traffic sideways sounds spectacular!

So, what did you decide? You were buying today weren't you?
Sideways is spectacular, but when you floor it in wet and ESP kicks in before you even get up to speed, your engine is reving, exhaust is screaming but car is literally crawling isn't - rather pathetic, but the back end doesn't steps out

Well, I was going to buy it today, but as there is no difference between today and monday due to the weekend, I thought I will take couple more days to decide, but it looks like Goodyear Eagle's F1 Assy 2.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 16th June 2017, 04:43 PM

Interesting. I would love to know your opinions and thoughts on the GYs compared to the P Zeros. Thanks.