A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 22nd January 2013, 08:17 PM

Default 2.8QS Battery Issues

I'm hoping for some assistance with a battery issue on the A8 (actually belongs to my Mum) Apologies in advance for War and Peace but trying to get all the relevant info in.
Car wouldn't start on Sunday night so I put the battery on charge for a few hours (to let me Mum travel home) and tried it again. Car started fine and I put the meter across the terminals when the engine was running and lights were on and it read 14.0V.
(I didn't have heateed rear screen etc on, just the lights)
I decided to charge the battery properly once she was home, so followed her home and charged it on the bench.
The battery reading was 12.61V fully charged. After 24 hours on the kitchen floor with nothing connected, the reading had dropped to 12.25V.
I thought this looked like the battery and took it to Halfords as it is still under warranty (after giving another charge this afternoon to help with the test)

Halfords tested it with a Bosch BAT121 and it failed, telling me it was unserviceable and had failed due to a charging problem with the car so not guaranteed! "It is either over or under charging", said the assistant.
"I would imagine overcharging would be relevant since I'm standing in Halfords", I replied - No response........
The printout showed a test voltage of 12.38V, start capacity of 75%.
I asked if the battery should be fully charged for the test and he told me it was as it was over 12V........

Any help or advice greatly appreciated. I have VAG-COM lite for further testing.
If I have to buy a new battery then fine, it'll get my Mum back on the road. I suppose I will need to re-charge the battery and then test the alternator with a full load as well.
As an aside, my Mum is very hard on the battery as it's mainly local runs (2-3miles) and due to a bad knee, the electric seat/wheel is moved back and forward every time she gets in and out. Add on the heated rear screeen etc and I wonder if this is responsible? 2.5 years out of a Halfords 3 year warranty battery? If that's the case then fair enough.
Thanks in advance,
Grant
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
"It is either over or under charging", said the assistant.
"I would imagine overcharging would be relevant since I'm standing in Halfords", I replied - No response........
Loved that, made me chuckle

I was once told, plausibly, that the problem with buying batteries from the likes of Halfords is that you dont really know how long its been sat on the shelf.... At least if you get it changed at a garage they likely order one in from a distributor with a high turnover, thus it is likely 'new'

It is all the wrong time of year for batteries, cold weather, high demand combined with short journeys is a killer. If the car is a keeper ,I'd fork out for a new battery for it - It seems a likely culprit and you should see an instant improvement. Maybe take it to a garage who are willing to test your battery independently and give you some assurance a new one will help - I.e. if it doesnt, tell em to take it back ..

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:30 PM

Short trips would leave battery constantly undercharged which could greatly reduce it's lifespan. Halfrauds should just suck it up and replace under warranty. Only thing you can do is get third party mechanic to test charging system and if it tests OK which it probably will show report to Halfrauds and ask them to replace it FOC.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:04 PM

Go to another Halfrauds store and ask them for a replacement

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:45 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. Much appreciated.
Taking all your comments on board, I realise the local running is almost certainly killing it so I'm going to give it another charge and try a different Halfords tomorrow.
If they don't replace it, I'll pick a new battery up elsewhere to get the car running again as this is the priority for me.
I'll get the charging system double checked next week when I have time by a third party and see if Halfords replace the battery with some evidence. If they do, I'll have a new battery to sell, or maybe I should buy my own A8 to put it in!
Thanks again for the advice.
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:35 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Nice to hear from you again Grant. How's the old girl going (the '8, not your mum!)

I'd still like that photo of all 3 of my '8s one day if you get a chance. I could even wash the car for you before the photos!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 23rd January 2013, 02:33 PM

This could be one of these rare events when a trip to your friendly main agent or a local garage may be prudent, I'd want to know the reason for the battery under/overcharging, and resolve any issues before renewing the battery. The problem could be as simple as a corroded earth wire

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
....... I could even wash the car for you before the photos!
And mine as well Jim!!! If I leave the car with you every Saturday, you could wash and then take a photo!
Old 24th January 2013, 05:09 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

No problem. I'll get the sponge, washing up liquid and gritty chammy ready!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th January 2013, 12:07 AM

Battery Update.
I took the battery into a different Halfords yesterday and the guy tested it and said it had passed!
I asked them to keep it overnight so they tested it again today and it passed again!
The member of staff was very helpful and even tried charging it for a bit and then testing it to see if he could get a different result but it was always fine.
It's back in the car now so I'll keep an eye on it for a few weeks.

I did a quick test with the engine running across the terminals and the reading was 14.3V.
I then put on the heated rear window/lights/blower and it dropped to 14.1V and remained steady. When I put off the equipment, it rose again to 14.3V.
I was under the impression that when you put on say the rear window, the voltage might drop slightly but recover quickly in a few seconds but that is not the case here.
I'll have to get it into an auto electrician to get it properly checked but wondered if anyone had any further thoughts etc?
Thanks.

P.S. Jim, my Mum still loves the car. She drove my A6 tdi recently and asked me what was wrong with it to which I replied, "You've become an A8 snob - that's what is wrong with it"