A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 9th February 2018, 10:21 AM

Thanks, does the zip have a slider on it, or is that removed during manufacture?

Looking again at Elsawin/Bentley it seems as if, with that centre pad removed, you can get at some fixing wires for the side bolster cover to free that. Whether that is required will depend on exactly where the pump is.

The wiring and pipes (and fixing screw) are all "below" the pump (i.e. towards the seat hinge) and probably fairly accessible; so if I can force enough access without dismantling I might try to disconnect it and jury-rig it to the new pump for testing. If I totally disable it during that process I've not lost anything, but I'll start on the passenger seat anyway.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th February 2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 9th February 2018, 01:39 PM

I'll have a look tonight how the zip looks on the backrest pad.
Yes its true you may need to unhook one of the side bolsters to reach under it (after the backrest pad has been removed). The brown leather pouch may be covered by the bolster.
The bolster is only secured to the backrest metal frame by a long hooked wire, to which wire clips have been pressed.
On the first bolster I wasn't thinking and unwound all the individual steel clips, but on the second one all I did was unwound the hook of the long wire with some pliers, then pulled it through all the clips. This is definitely the way to go.
Old 9th February 2018, 03:36 PM

Looking again at the Nordic Audi photo that I linked to (in my thread) the pump unit is at the same level as the big hooks for the centre pad above the lumbar pads (with Velcro in your picture, but not theirs).
https://nordicaudi.com/php/files/896135-DSC00286.JPG
It is fixed to the metal back plate of the side bolster on the left side so fairly buried inside the bolster; it will indeed be just above that "brown leather" wrap.

I've just confirmed by operating the pump that it's on the left side on both front seats and I can get my fingers inside the bolster to just about reach it. However a rigid joint in the centre pad gets in the way, so that will definitely have to come out.

Having also just tilted one seat back to expose the zip, I'm not 100% sure what it does, it doesn't seem to be under any significant tension so if you undo it and leave it open will it affect the seat in any way, other than stopping debris falling through?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th February 2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10th February 2018, 04:23 PM

I was confused by the zip too, its not under tension.
I like your foam pad solution from the other thread. Much more reliable than Audi's system