A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Everything Else

D4 - Everything Else Holding forum for all D4 banter until membership grows and we'll expand out

Old 26th April 2017, 09:22 PM

Default Preface lift V Facelift

What is the actual difference in build to a Facelift and pre Facelift 4.2 tdi

I know the engine has a higher factory HP and 50nm more torque but ... why is the engine much more quiet than PF ? I drove one the other day and it's either a better insulated cabin or the engine build and design is actually different in some way.

Other differences I'd be interested in is sound system... my friend has a 2016 S8 and mine is 2012 .. his bose sounds like a different system to mine, using the same SD card track as a reference it's almost hard to belive they are even the same system at all ... ??
Old 26th April 2017, 09:27 PM

Interesting, engine wise I have driven both extensively now and haven't noticed any real difference in engine noise, or in real world "power" with the 4.2 TDIs (the 3l FL made a big difference, suspect some of that maybe gearing?). Maybe worth trying a different pre-facelift for comparison?

On the bose question, would be interesting to compare software versions on the amp?
Old 26th April 2017, 09:37 PM

That can be arranged I have VCDS I can check the software version. Power wise I have no reference given I'm on 446bhp with 1050nm and the standard face-lift is around 385 with 850nm

I have to say every time I use the power and torque I smile ... I left a soul destroying look on a jaguar XF owners face today... launch control with that torque and a sports diff is so satisfying and a true Wolf in sheep's clothing
Old 26th April 2017, 09:39 PM

Stupid question possibly, but same track on the same sd card?
Old 26th April 2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Stupid question possibly, but same track on the same sd card?
Yes, same track both cars, same format and bit rate etc straight from one car to the other, with the 2016 S8 sounding far better...

Now part of me wandered, is this to do with the active noise cancellation. .. and is that system in some way different ... I can see the microphones in the headlining on his. Where I do not have this ...
Old 26th April 2017, 09:51 PM

I'm interested in how you get that power, mine is standard, I was maybe a little disappointed when I planted the facelift and it felt just the same to my butt-dyno
Old 26th April 2017, 09:52 PM

Was the facelift an S8, active noise cancellation will explain the difference in cabin noise if so
Old 26th April 2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8 Ian View Post
Yes, same track both cars, same format and bit rate etc straight from one car to the other, with the 2016 S8 sounding far better...

Now part of me wandered, is this to do with the active noise cancellation. .. and is that system in some way different ... I can see the microphones in the headlining on his. Where I do not have this ...
If one has noise cancelling and the other does not, that sounds like a solid difference (no pun intended). It will at the very least reduce your perception of extraneous noise, which may enhance perceived clarity of the music.
It would be interesting to compare with B&O as well.
Old 26th April 2017, 10:05 PM

Next upgrade: fit active noise canceling
Old 26th April 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
I'm interested in how you get that power, mine is standard, I was maybe a little disappointed when I planted the facelift and it felt just the same to my butt-dyno
With some ahem "Street legal and emissions compliant upgrades officer" and a remap of course