A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 14th August 2017, 11:15 AM

Default Radiator Leaking from Rubber Bung?

I have a radiator leak that is coming from what looks to be a rubber bung located underneath the left side (passenger side) of the radiator that is nearest the engine. It only leaks when at pressure and won't come out by hand so reluctant to wrench it out without a replacement.

I can't find any drawing or reference to it in the works manual, local radiator repairers don't seem to know of this and Audi parts are not aware of its existence.

Has anybody else had this problem and if so what was the solution?

Thanks

Bought at 9 months old - Ming Blue 2001 (51) 2.8 Quattro Sport with Sat Nav. 122,000 miles

Last edited by woodpoleman; 14th August 2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 14th August 2017, 11:22 AM

Photos are always good and left/right depends which way you're looking from.
And which car? You list a D2 and a D3......
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 14th August 2017, 02:13 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

If we're talking about a D2, do you mean where the blue radiator drain screw is (as shown on the photo below)?:

------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 30th August 2017, 09:31 PM

Just wrote e reply and lost it so here goes again.

Car is a D2 and left is nearside (if you drive on the left). I've attached a couple of pics one dry the other when engine up to temp. I'm wondering if this bung is a fail safe should the engine exceed operating pressure. It's rubber and very pliable so can't really grip it unless I want to damage it.

I think thermostat works as I hear hissing when reaching operating temp and assume it's the thermostat opening. It may be the the filler cap pressure valve can't check it but can replace it.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170830_181141.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	16907   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170830_182314.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	16908  

Bought at 9 months old - Ming Blue 2001 (51) 2.8 Quattro Sport with Sat Nav. 122,000 miles
Old 30th August 2017, 09:45 PM

The stat will not be hissing. Its possible that thats the coolant filler cap as you say and the spring is lifting slightly as it is exceeding max op pressure. If that is the case then you need to investigate why it is exceeding. Do you have any other signs of overheating? I would suggest you go the "D2 - Common Faults-Tech Dump" thread and pull up the appropriate service manual to identify the plug.
Old 30th August 2017, 10:10 PM

Thats one of the two mounting bungs for the radiator. If its leaking from there there's a tiny chance it's leaking from the thermo-switch, but most likely you have a hole in the radiator.