A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 13th October 2016, 09:59 PM

And...you got two nice return trips to Glasgow as well .

Btw - and you may well know this - but their 3 year warranty is also for 100,000 miles....so you can drive it as much as you like . My warranty with them is nearly up now - on time, not miles - but I'm not worried about that.

Enjoy...
Old 14th October 2016, 08:23 PM

I had a similar chat with John at Mackies about these boxes and he, as with you, told me that there isn't a generic problem with 5HP24 boxes and they do see high mileage boxes - maybe that's probably because the ones they do get them in for servicing are the ones which last and you may be right that unserviced, failed boxes don't get taken in for repair..
Old 14th October 2016, 09:17 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Btw - and you may well know this - but their 3 year warranty is also for 100,000 miles....so you can drive it as much as you like
I know Clearly they're very confident in their work!

I don't expect to get anywhere near that mileage though. The first service (which is mandatory for the warranty) is 12 months or 12,000 miles (I think). It's unlikely I'll even get anywhere near that mileage in the first year so even 30,000 would probably be a bit of a push in 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
I had a similar chat with John at Mackies about these boxes and he, as with you, told me that there isn't a generic problem with 5HP24 boxes and they do see high mileage boxes - maybe that's probably because the ones they do get them in for servicing are the ones which last and you may be right that unserviced, failed boxes don't get taken in for repair..
I think he mentioned the same boxes are used in a few other vehicles (including some Jags, I think he said). I wonder if those vehicles are also biasing the statistics (particularly if the vehicles are more common) and if maybe the S8s are just pushing a few too many horses through the box.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 15th October 2016, 02:35 AM

Yes they are in a lot of cars - Jags, Land Rovers, BMW's and probably a lot more and they also suffer the same issues. Failures are not due to power but mostly lack of servicing although there are a couple of weak spots that are known to cause failure like some seals blowing or bearings and drums wearing but they probably last a lot longer with regular servicing.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure