A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 20th December 2016, 04:17 PM

Default Flickering lighting

As some members know my D3 does not get much use, and although it is currently used 4 out of 7 days on average these journeys are mostly short 2 miles at most type trips. However once a month she does a 400 mile round trip from Dorset to Hertfordshire.

So its been nearly 4 weeks since the last trip and the D3 has had 12 short trips totalling 24 miles in that time, so the battery is now at the point where the Battery management shuts down key systems, as I am currently taking out more power than I put into the battery during the trips the battery slowly depletes over the 4 weeks.

This evening after getting back from work, I got out to open the boot and noticed that the tail light mounted on the boot lid (UK passenger side) LEDs were flickering as were the interior lights. None of the other rear lights or number plate lights were doing this, just the one. They only flicker at Idle, once you increase the revs the flicker stops. Also if I turn on the fog lights neither of them flicker.

Now hopefully for now I putting this down the battery being pretty discharged, its 3c outside and that its now 3 years old and really needs the good run to get the charge back.

I'll check the rear light again after driving 160 miles on Friday, to see if it is still the same at my destination.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 20th December 2016, 05:44 PM

Seen the flickering tail light on its own with bad condensation recently, but not with interior lights at the same time. Seen flickering interior lights where a roof electronic module has been faulty.
Your case is a bit weird.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 20th December 2016, 06:13 PM

I've had condensation in that light before, but currently no condensation visible. The condensation I get is only visible in the reverse light section, all other sections remain clear.

I believe the lights to be original, they are pretty scratched up and the one has a hairline crack that for now does not let water in.

I've just looked online at replacement lights, lots of right hand side ones but no reasonably priced left side.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 20th December 2016, 07:52 PM

Hmmm, interesting, I've just noticed today on my car on the drivers rear light, think it was just the clear lens, definitely worth more investigation
Old 21st December 2016, 02:34 PM

Im not sure why only some lights are doing the flicker but were you say "increasing the revs stops it "........ reminds me of alternator ripple .

As you say the car does not get used much, on idle the most of the alternator amps is charging the battery leaving less residual voltage for the rest of the car perhaps ? and when revs go a bit higher alternator has a bigger output and current stablises some what .

Sound feasable ?
Old 21st December 2016, 04:21 PM

Right,

ignore everything I said in post one.

Did some testing with a work colleague, essentially the passenger side boot mounted light flickers regardless of engine revs. Also flickers with the engine off and lights on, so looks like an electronics fault in that light assembly. All other lights remain on with no flickering.

I am guessing moisture is the cause, so now to source a replacement. I've found an aftermarket non Audi one for £190 brand new, but I would need to get a pair as the reverse light looks from the photos slightly different and it would look odd.

I'm not going to spend a fortune fitting the facelift lights, as I maybe selling the car around the middle of next year. So the hunt is on for a passenger side pre facelift boot mounted light.
Old 21st December 2016, 07:28 PM

Old 22nd December 2016, 02:00 AM

My beige 2004 has always had flickering interior lights, especially when they're dimmed. Not severe,but enough to bother me. I've been waiting for the voltage regulator to die for 5 years...
I read in another forum (aircraft forum, not A8) that installing a large (but inexpensive) capacitor cures this. I'm sure the power mgt module would ****e a brick, though.

My 0.02, if that.

Tom
Old 23rd December 2016, 06:21 AM

My interior lights are not really that much of a problem, they do flicker ever so slightly with the engine running.

I'll take a punt on the cheap aftermarket new rear light made by ULO early in the new year, and see how I get on.

I'm driving 160 miles in the D3 this afternoon, on the busiest travelling day before Christmas. I am also going out early, to go and fill the car A8 up before the hoards descend on the petrol station. Blandford has just two filling stations serving the whole town.
Old 26th December 2016, 06:09 AM

I've ended up sticking a load of duck tape over the LED part of the light unit. its now flickering really badly and I guess only a matter of time before it stops completely. The reason for the tape is that at night it looked really distracting and almost strobe like.

On the plus side the D3 still drives better than ever, I'll be doing another 160 miles today.