A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 25th June 2017, 10:43 AM

Default 4.0TDi timing chain and tensioner replacement

I've been discussing this a little on my hot start thread but thought I'd be better starting a seperate thread about it.

Symptoms: rattle on start-up. Happens on most starts. Ticking noise while running at idle. The ticking noise sounds like its coming from the back of the engine and is actually quite loud. Sometimes when starting from cold the ticking is quite violent and noisy and doesnt clear until the engine has been running for a few minutes.

Questions: Can the noise be narrowed down to a specific tensioner? If its one of the front uppermost ones, can it be replaced by taking the front of the car off? If it can be done I'd prefer this method to the whole engine/transmission/subframe removal method and I would just replace the offending part rather than the entire shooting match in order to save hundreds of pounds. Time isn't really an issue for me and I'd be doing the work myself.

Is there something at the back of tghe engine that needs doing that causes the noise? Obviously, if its the back of the engine I will need to drop it and would change everything in that instance.

As mentioned above, I wil be doing all the work myself. I shall make up a how to as i go and post progress/mistakes etc as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of info about this other than take it to audi and pay most of the value of the car to have it sorted. Time is no barrier as I have a selection of spare audis and land rovers to use while it's off the road but I do enjoy my d3 so want it to be done quickly.

any thouhts, info etc gratefully recieved, gill
Old 25th June 2017, 07:32 PM

I'd suggest starting starting with the relevant Audi SSP that covers the 4.0TDI. SSP=Self Study Programme, easily found on the net.
That way you get to see what you are dealing with before dismantling anything.
On the 3.0TDI, there are reports of the top right tensioner (drivers side) being the one that fails first and it can be changed insitu but the official guide is engine out. Mixed reports on sucess and if it it doesn't solve it, it's engine out anyway. Not sure how similar the 4.0TDI setup is, its a much rarer engine.
If you have the time, ability and intend keeping the car for the long haul, I think you'd be better off dropping the engine and replacing all the chains, tensioners and plastic guides. In terms of parts, it wont be a huge cost.
Old 25th June 2017, 10:54 PM

From what I have read, the top right tensioner on the 3.0 can be done without dismantling too much, but there are two cyliders missing on that engie so there is more space. From what I have seen though, the set-up is much the same. I will have a look for the SSP and see what info i can glean. the problem I have is lifting the car off the engine though which is why i'd quite like to try replacing the one part first. At the end of the day all i'd be losing is my time so no great loss in the grand scheme of things. I will price up the parts for a ful overhaul and decide from there, I plan on keeping the car for a while anyway, although I'd be tempted by a 4.2 tdi. IMHO the 3.0 is a waste of time. My A4 cabrio 3.0 tdi makes the max power for that engine but it is still much less than the 4.0 but still uses only just a little less fuel than my A8. then theres the noise, sorry but an A8 needs to make the v8 noise. Sorry \im drun and rambling now. I shouldturn the laptop off and go to bed, early flight tomorrow!