A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 11th April 2016, 08:10 AM

Default What Oil in a V10 S8?

As above really, what engine oil would you guys recommend for use in an S8?

I've always used Mobil 1 previously. Is that suitable for my new car, or is there something better?

I know the oil filler cap says Castrol is recommended, but does that mean that's just the company that paid Audi the most?

2008 Audi S8
Old 11th April 2016, 01:46 PM

Audi does a fixed price for routine service 175£ it is I think
Instead of going to buy oil would rather go there
They will do a nice health check for free too
Old 11th April 2016, 01:53 PM

Thanks Borys. I knew about the fixed price servicing but a few Audi-owning friends have said my local Audi dealer has a really half-a*sed approach to servicing, so I didn't give it much thought.

Do you know what engine oil Audi use? It's always good to have a top-up, just in case.

2008 Audi S8
Old 11th April 2016, 06:17 PM

No clue what audi uses
I run Castrol Edge 5w30 around here recomendation goes to quantum
Old 11th April 2016, 06:23 PM

I've been searching exactly the same thing for a fellow member, Conquistador. Also came close to writing a post. Here's what I know so far.

Audi Service advised the oil they use is Castrol 0w30, Longlife conforming to 504.00 and 507.00.

Audi Parts advised 0w30 or 5w30 to similar specifications.

Halfrauds and Euro Car Parts website gave all different specs and viscosities, but seemed to fall around 5w40.

I work for a Seat/Skoda Main Dealer, and we use Quantum. In the workshop, for petrol engines we use 5w30 on Longlife Servicing. When I checked the bottles, they conform to 504.00 and 507.00. The bottle also says "Manufactured by Volkswagen etc....".

So a long story short, if you can find the right viscosity, use Quantum, since it's made by the same people who make the car.
Old 11th April 2016, 06:26 PM

I also use Quantum, bought from TPS

Old 11th April 2016, 06:59 PM

TPS were mean to me today

I'd previously asked (last July) to join and they didn't get back to me. I sent them an email over the weekend to ask about my membership and today I got a call from a stroppy git who gave me the third degree about why I needed membership.

Thankfully, I could only hear half of what he said because he called me from a mobile that had terrible reception. Despite me telling him this, he continued in the same manner, telling me they don't give out memberships 'willy nilly' and that he'd visited my premises and it was 'just a house with a brown door'.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to find myself another means by which to acquire my parts.

2008 Audi S8
Old 12th April 2016, 07:18 AM

I find this whole TPS thing a bit weird, the Bletchley one, you just rock up without an account and get your bits, its pretty simple, why are some others really snotty about it?
Old 12th April 2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
TPS were mean to me today

I'd previously asked (last July) to join and they didn't get back to me. I sent them an email over the weekend to ask about my membership and today I got a call from a stroppy git who gave me the third degree about why I needed membership.

Thankfully, I could only hear half of what he said because he called me from a mobile that had terrible reception. Despite me telling him this, he continued in the same manner, telling me they don't give out memberships 'willy nilly' and that he'd visited my premises and it was 'just a house with a brown door'.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to find myself another means by which to acquire my parts.
So the guy went to your registered office and not the workshop. Should have told him if he wants to visit he'll have to make an appointment as you're not open to any riff raff that just turns up unannounced. Tell the little **** he'll have to apply for membership but it don't look good for him.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 12th April 2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
So the guy went to your registered office and not the workshop. Should have told him if he wants to visit he'll have to make an appointment as you're not open to any riff raff that just turns up unannounced. Tell the little **** he'll have to apply for membership but it don't look good for him.
You know, I was thinking along the same lines during the call myself, but held myself back at the thought of paying dealer prices!

I rang the Milton Keynes TPS, who were far friendlier and didn't talk to me like a criminal, but when they gave me prices, I noticed they were retail prices. In fairness, the friendly chap on the phone did end the call by saying that he'd try to help me out on the price when I ordered.

2008 Audi S8