A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 28th July 2017, 02:09 PM

Default Broken down

Battery warning light came on, dashboard starting throwing all sorts of lights up so I pulled over suspecting alternator issues and sure enough the belt is not on!

So just sat waiting for recovery and thought I'd ask if anyone had experience of this before, I am imaginging the front of the car has to come off to gain access?

Just what I needed.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 28th July 2017, 02:18 PM

I know that the alternator is a £1000+ item on its own as its watercooled, so fingers crossed it isn't that.

I'm sure it wont be that bad, but on the plus, if the front is coming off, its probably worth double checking the power steering hoses!

Hope you have broken down somewhere safe.
Old 28th July 2017, 03:49 PM

Usually its a bad tensioner or idler that throws the belt off. The bearings wear and the pulley ends up out of line with everything else, putting lateral pressure on the belt. You're lucky if its completely missing. Its not uncommon for it to get tied up in all the spinning bits and then its a right pain to un-pick everything.

I would also imagine the front needs to come off, especially on an S8, but at least you can get good access to all the idlers etc and check which, if any, are bad.
Old 28th July 2017, 04:11 PM

Yep, the AA chap shone his torch down and it looks like the belt is sat down on the undertray.

Anyway she is now on a flatbed on her way to Jack Barclays in Wandsworth..... I dread to think of ££
On the plus side I broke down outside of the Richmond Hill Hotel and it's happy hour, Mojito anyone!?!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 29th July 2017, 01:24 AM

hope you get it sorted buddy

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub