A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 21st April 2009, 11:46 AM
DJStrange

Default Door mirror glass

Smashed my driver's wing mirror at the weekend (stupid volvo driver in middle of road, couldn't get in the ditch any further ).

I tried wingmirrorman.co.uk and they sent me a pre-facelift mirror glass. They didn't have any other for the S8. Obviously the facelift is bigger and a slightly different shape.

Where do you guys get your wing mirror glass from? Any recommendations? Facelift 2002 S8
Old 21st April 2009, 01:12 PM

Get on the blower to Dave, there's two different glass types green and blue I think.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 24th April 2009, 09:18 AM
DJStrange

Hmm. I'm a little worried now - I ordered a mirror from wingmirrorman, when it arrived it was the wrong shape and slightly too small, with a bluey hint to it. Mine aren't bluey. I sent it back and asked if they had a later one as I assumed this one must have been pre-facelift or A8. They had only that shape/size for A8/S8 94-02.

I called Audi Amersham who wanted £40 for one...

I called Dave @ A8Parts, got one ordered and received this morning (good packaging by the way - arrived in one piece). Problem is, it's the same as the one I got from wingmirrorman, ie too small, wrong shape and bluey.

I'm wondering if I've either got mirrors from a different car (S6 or S4 or something) or is there definitely a difference between pre- and facelift S8 wing mirrors?

Gonna ring Dave back in a bit, but just wondered if anyone has a pic of a pre-facelift S8 wing mirror and a facelift S8 wing mirror for comparison?

EDIT:- No worries folks, confirmed with Dave there are definitely differences between facelift and pre-facelift S8 mirrors. Sorted

Last edited by DJStrange; 24th April 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 24th April 2009, 01:35 PM

Thumbs up I am assuming yours are auto-dimming...?

...The previous owner of mine was not prepared to fork out for a heated and auto-dimming glass on the drivers side, and so I had glarey blue on one and goldy/bronze on the passenger side.

Needless to say, Dave sorted me out with the right one (has a raised black plastic trim around the glass, and two plugs in the back).

Zip
Old 24th April 2009, 02:25 PM

what would I need to fit autodoming side mirrors, just the new glass? Or other stuff? If it's just the new glass then I will order myself some from A8 Parts pronto!
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds