A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 3rd March 2011, 09:49 PM

Default Funny brake light story

Funny peculiar really, but in case anyone else gets these symptoms.....

I've been getting an occasional warning light on the dash saying I had a bulb out - seemed to coincide with braking so assumed it was that. However, when I got someone to check the lights they were all working. Strange, me thinks.....

This started before the car came off the road while the insurance on my mirrors was sorted, but was becoming more frequent. Finally it did it when the car was stationary so got my passenger to jump out and check if a bulb was out - sure enough the offside one wasn't working.

Took the light unit out and found the filaments were both intact (they're stop and tail bulbs for anyone not aware) which confused me somewhat. Decided to buy a pair of new bulbs, as had too many issues with cheap bulbs and with no idea when/by whom these were fitted I wasn't taking any chances.

77 pence later (Audi dealer price for a pair of bulbs - who'd have thought anything would be cheap from Audi?!) I go to swap the bulbs. First problem - the bulb doesn't want to come out check the other side and find it comes out really easily. Armed with knowledge of which way they should rotate, I still can't get the offside one out. After much twisting/pushing/swearing I eventually just yanked it out! It appears some moron had successfully inserted the bulb the wrong way round (the pins on the side are offset height) and in the process had sheered off the pin on one side causing the metal to tear and jam in the holder. Probably the reason for intermittent light fault.

New bulb popped in without any issues and all fine since - just goes to show there's always a numpty prepared to ram something into a space it's not intended to go, no matter what the hourly rate is.....

Adrian
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:09 PM

Lol. Quite common for some pleb to force in offset pins into a holder not designed for them mate

Probably an Audi "technician" that did it

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 8th March 2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
Lol. Quite common for some pleb to force in offset pins into a holder not designed for them mate

Probably an Audi "technician" that did it
I'd have thought with the bulb in the wrong way (180 deg out) the Brake filament would be on normal light and the normal light filament would light up on braking.

The Computer 'sees' the balance of power to each side so should really have shown a fault on 'normal' lighting and on braking as there would be an imbalance in both cases as power for brake and normal filaments are different.
Old 8th March 2011, 07:11 PM

Quite often I find myself having to resist the urge to point out to the driver in front, that some numpty has fitted one of his bulbs backwards.
It's easy to spot, as Sloss said, the tail light one one side is dead bright.

Considering how much effort it takes to fit one of these dual bulbs backwards, its surprising how many people manage to do it