A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 18th July 2019, 08:56 PM

A final update on my window drama, with a twist in the tale.

Have been in communication with Autoglass management over the last few days, today the technician came out and fitted the new rear window... the same one he had with him on Saturday.

So, it turns out that the rear windows were NOT privacy glass, and neither technician spotted this, despite checking the side windows carefully when they were partially down. It didn't help that I was convinced they were privacy glass.

Since Saturday, there have been several phone calls made to Audi by Autoglass, and also by me to the original owner of the car (the man who handed over a very large wad of cash to the Audi dealership). Audi informed Autoglass that the car left the factory with laminated, insulated heated glass, and was not tinted. I spoke to the original owner who was told by the dealership that the car (specced by them) came from the factory with tinted rear glass.

Whilst on the phone to Autoglass management, he asked if I would double check the rear window, by taking a sharp knife to it. Using a very sharp craft knife, I just sliced straight into the surface of the glass, and lo and behold, a line appeared, which after some poking and prodding revealed an aftermarket tint.

What I do find rather disturbing is that the dealership deliberately misled someone who was buying a brand new car from them, into believing that it was privacy glass that had been fitted at the factory, when in actuality, they had fitted an aftermarket tint to it. Ironically, they even relieved him of some more money after they persuaded him to have the front windows lightly tinted as well. We live and learn!

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 23rd July 2019, 04:28 PM

^^interesting - does that mean the aftermarket tint was done to an exceptionally high standard and nobody could detect this?

I always thought that on close inspection one could work out the difference between a factory tint and an after market one.
Old 24th July 2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT D3 View Post
^^interesting - does that mean the aftermarket tint was done to an exceptionally high standard and nobody could detect this?

I always thought that on close inspection one could work out the difference between a factory tint and an after market one.
Hard to say. I was led to believe it was privacy glass, so never had a need to check it. According to the Autoglass manager I spoke to, he said they should have spotted it was a tint, but having said that, neither of them physically checked the glass to see if it was.

It was only after the new one was put in that the technician then checked the old one out and spotted the tint. That was done using his finger nail and moving it back and forth near the edges of the glass. Visually, he pointed it out to be, but it was only easier to see because I could get really close to the glass as it was out of the car.

Afterwards, I checked the side windows, and on initial inspection, you wouldn't spot it. I literally had to look at the edge of the glass from a couple of inches away, and then only by looking up towards the edge of the glass. Doing it this way, I then noticed a small 1mm line of clear glass, and on even closer inspection noticed that it wasn't 100% in line with the glass.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds