Old 7th November 2015, 03:34 PM

It's an 05 and I'm close to lisburn.
Old 7th November 2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-black View Post
It's an 05 and I'm close to lisburn.
ok I live near Strabane myself.
Old 8th November 2015, 08:44 PM

Rather than run a cable, I use a Bluetooth receiver and stream music from my phone when I want to listen to something not on the iPod or AMI.

Was cheap and doesn't clash with the factory Bluetooth at all.

Mike

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 9th November 2015, 01:41 PM

^^

Thats a pretty good solution for someone who just wants to play audio.

After all the talk of TV I went and bought this,

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/221712091209?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'll let ye know if its any good when its installed but it claims to have an auto scanning function. Crucially its mpeg4 so will work in Ireland.

I've read on this forum that the stock audi antenna can't be used on aftermarket tuners. Why exactly is this does anyone know? What type of connection does the audi antenna have to plug into the tv tuner?
Old 9th November 2015, 06:16 PM

The Audi antennas are powered, cant remember whether they have power and can damage non oem units or need power and wont work, think it was the first one
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 10th November 2015, 03:32 PM

Thanks for that. Fakra to F-type adaptors don't seem to be available anyway. I'll try the antennas that come with the unit first and see if it can really work on the move as claimed. Maybe swap to antennas that are a bit more discreet if the tuner is any good.

Another question. I've read loads of threads about finding an ignition switched supply on the D3, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on this. I've been poking around with a meter and everything seems to be permanent 12v, do any of you know where to take an easy ignition 12v from?
Old 10th November 2015, 03:52 PM

I don't know where to take an easy Terminal 15 (battery+ from ignition switch), but the D3 does have T15 supply relay. Maybe you could take a T15 feed from connection B165 or B273 or the relay?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T15.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	12120  

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 10th November 2015, 04:25 PM

There is one fuse on the D3 that I use as an Ign fed supply. It is a bu66er to ascertain as there is a short delay in coming live and an even longer delay turning off. I would have thought that this would switch instantly but guess it is fed via a controller with built in delays for some little known Audi reason that I don't know about
This fuse is in the fuse box at the passenger end of the dash. Open the passenger door and remove the fuse box cover that is exposed.
There are two physically sized types of fuses in this box and the one you want is one of the larger ones (probably standard sized as opposed to miniature????).
Of the top of my head I cannot remember which fuse but I think it was at the top of the column as you look at it. Just check with a multimeter or LED voltage checker. Helps if you have someone operating the ign switch. Just have a little patience and double check.
I'll have a look later when SWMBO arrives home with the car if it has stopped pouring down.
I originally connected by soldering a wire onto the fuse tongue towards the car front (cut off some of the plastic with a sharp knife, be quick with the hot iron 'cos you could melt the fuse link) then put an inline fuse on this wire to protect the new load.
Or buy one of these:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADD-A-CIRCUIT-FUSE-TAP-PIGGYBACK-FUSE-STANDARD-FUSE-2-YR-GUARANTEE-AFH50-/251650492205?hash=item3a9789c72d
Good hunting.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 10th November 2015, 05:00 PM

i had one in the rear terminal in the passenger side compartment opposite the battery compartment. ther is a small terminal box with about 8 or so fuses, 1 of these goes on and off with power to the mmi. ie it remains on about 4 - 5 minutes after the ignition goes off, worked well when i had my external tv box in. cant remember which one it was
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 10th November 2015, 05:58 PM

Thanks for all replies, I couldn't find anything in the rear left small fuse box. This would be the easiest, maybe I wasn't giving it long enough to go off. But they all seem have 12v with ignition off and car 'asleep'. Elsa lists these as:

SD1 - Vacant

- SD2 - Vacant

- SD3 - Vacant

- SD4 - Vacant

- SD5 - Digital sound package control unit -J525-, 30A

- SD6 - Navigation system with CD drive control unit -J401-, 5A

- SD7 - TV-tuner -R78-, 10A

- SD8 - Reversing camera system control unit -J772-, 5A

- SD9 - Radio -R-, digital radio -R147-, satellite radio -R146-, 5A

I did find one in the left side of the dash, its Fuse 31, r/h fuel pump for gasoline engine. It comes on immediately with ignition and goes off about 15 seconds after ignition off. Its vacant as mine is a TDI so a pretty good spot to stick in a fuse tapper. I'd have to run that to the back is the only problem.

I'll try the fuse box in the rear left again, I'll leave it 15 mins and see does anything go dead, I've left the boot just partly closed as the boot handle switch brings everything alive again.