A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 10th November 2015, 07:27 PM

The rear left fuses SD1...SD10 have a Terminal 30 supply, i.e they are permanent 12v.

J17 Fuel pump relay & J49 Electric fuel pump 2 relay are supplied from a T15 (ignition), although these are on a 0.5mm wire.

Still think it's best to try and use connection B165 or B273 as this is a 4mm cable.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 10th November 2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10th November 2015, 08:04 PM

Ok thanks so no point persisting with the rear left fuse box then. The supply I need is just a turn on/off signal for the new tuner. I would presume the new tuner is actually powered by its permanent 12v connection and switched on/off by the switched 12v connection.

I have no idea where or what B165 or B273 is to be honest. If its 4mm cable surely this is a high amp circuit, when all I need is the tuner seeing 12v or not. What do you think? I'm not great at reading the wiring diagrams to be honest.

Fuse 31 for fuel pump gasoline engine in the L/H dash must be T15 supplied too because it goes on/off with ignition, exactly what I want and its easy to install a fuse tap and remove it too.
Old 10th November 2015, 08:37 PM

I think that Fuse 31 rings a bell, too late to check now I have an 04:00 start tomorrow so am in bed ready for some zzsss!
In the end I tapped a connection on the rear of the fusebox when I had the glovebox out for something else, it was doing my own thing with a non OEM reverse camera that needed an ign feed, also the DRLs that I added. Surprising what I forget, but then I do have age as an excuse.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 10th November 2015, 09:27 PM

it may have been the tuner one i used, dont forget its intelligent, if you turn of the engine then manually turn on the mmi get out and lock the mmi (and tuner deactivate after several minutes, its not going of with the ignition but a couple of minutes on wont hurt.

test it out first obviosly things change depending on what a car has installed
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 18th November 2015, 09:48 PM

So I've fitted the new tuner, went in easy enough. One antenna in the front left of windscreen, one on the right side of the rear screen. Reception is perfect everywhere when stationary but fairly crap in places when moving. I'm about 20 miles from a 160Kw transmitter.

Just wondering whats the reception like with the stock tuner when moving? I'm wondering because my tuner supports active or passive antenna and can output 5v to an active antenna, this can also be turned off if you want to fit an active antenna with its own power supply. It also supports f-type or fakra. So i'm wondering if the audi antenna can be used with it...
Old 18th November 2015, 10:31 PM

Nottinghamshire = cuts in and out all the time on the move.
Birmingham = seldom cuts out.
North Lincs (newark>Mumby) = seldom cuts out.
Signal is better on dull cloudy days.
Old 19th November 2015, 09:19 AM

around large towns are usually pretty good
Motorways good near large areas, cuts in and out otherwise
outside my house - none

thats why i added a dvd with sdcard and usb

regards

Nick
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 19th November 2015, 01:26 PM

So I was around Dublin and the reception was perfect it didn't drop out at all, at speeds up to 120kph. Pretty happy with that, Good on the motorways too just dropped a few times for a few seconds on an 80km stretch of motorway into Dublin.

Plugged in a 1TB hard drive and its got a very intuitive epg and general interface so very easy to use and select programmes on tv or stuff on the hard drive. The remote is great too, intuitive and very fast and you can point it pretty much anywhere in the car and it works. I have the IR receiver in the pax footwell.

It would be perfect if the audi antenna could be integrated somehow.
Old 2nd January 2016, 09:56 PM

Is a digital or hybrid TV tuner a straight swap? Also where can I connect something into AV1 and AV2? Where are the inputs located? I have RSE in mine so maybe they're already connected in the boot somewhere?
Old 2nd January 2016, 10:55 PM

yes its a straight sway from the analogue to digital/hybrid

av1 and 2 have to be installed normally, not sure on rse equiped. they come out of the big red connector on top of the tuner. best to buy the leads ready made and slot them in the pins, theres also pins for av out which i use to hook up the tv in to my dvd/sd/usb players av1 socket, so the tv can be watched on the rear monitors.