A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 12th July 2019, 02:53 PM

Gents,

Many thanks for all the replies and opinions. Very helpful.

I decided in the end to go with Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3.

The four were coming in between 120-200 cheaper than the other brands so happy enough with that as the saving will go towards a refurb on the 20' rims....

cheers,.....!!
Old 12th July 2019, 10:29 PM

Good choice if they’re as good or better than the Ventus S1 Evo 2.
Old 16th July 2019, 02:11 PM

Lads,

Went with the Hankook in the end.

The wheels were caked with brake dust so while they were off, i gave them an initial spray with Bilberry wheel cleaner, let that dwell for 10 minutes then hosed them down, followed by Iron-X. Couldn't believe the dirt that came off them.

Hit it with the hose, then Iron-X again, cleaned with a sponge, dried them and then applied wheel protectant wax.

Easy to do when in the tyre shop....

Thanks for all the good advice chaps...
Old 20th July 2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I now put Three A P606 on A6. So far so good, feel better than Continental I had on before, done about 1500 miles in 3 weeks good mix of all kinds of roads, mostly hard driving. So far does not seem to have excessive wear but too early to say.

I am having second thoughts about Three A P606. Accidentally hit one on kerb while reversing and got a nice big hole in sidewall. Did not even hit that hard and it was just a normal kerb, nothing sharp or armature sticking out. I have definitely hit other tyres in kerbs and potholes a lot harder but this is my first blowout. Now that I have tyre off the car I can see it wearing on the edges as well, both inside and outside but a bit more on outside. Checked other tyres and it is the same on others, more on front, less on the back. Also some graining on the outside, I guess they do not like hard cornering in this hot weather. I don't think they will last more than 10k. Second hand Michelins with 7-7.5mm at the comparable price to new P606 I got 20k miles on the same car and was still able to sell them on ebay, Continental second hand also 7-7.5mm about 18k miles but there was nothing left on them to be ale to sell.

Three A P606 do grip well and this blowout might be isolated incident or do to exact nature of hitting kerb but I think I would have been better off getting another second hand set of Michelins but I could not find anything good at decent price and was risking at running existing tyres below legal limit so resorted to quick and cheap option.

Put on a spare tyre, an ancient Dunlop SP Sport 9000, I am not sure how old it is, it's 40X where the manufacturing date would be so I guess it's older than 2000 and boy it does not have any grip at all in wet. ABS comes every time in wet I push brakes a bit harder and I cannot do right turns or go round the roundabouts at any decent speed in wet with the most of force on the left front tyre where this old Dunlop is.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190720_141610152_HDR.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	21999  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 20th July 2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 20th July 2019, 05:52 PM

I had some budget tyres on the RS4 that were fitted by the previous owner, soft sidewalls was an understatement although they were XL stamped. One cut, one egged in the space of a couple of months and the only kerb action was going on and off the drive, so I suspect speed bumps maybe the cause.

Replaced all four with new Goodyear F1s, cost £100 per corner vs £60 for the budget, which is good value for money I think!
Old 9th August 2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I am having second thoughts about Three A P606. Accidentally hit one on kerb while reversing and got a nice big hole in sidewall. Did not even hit that hard and it was just a normal kerb, nothing sharp or armature sticking out. I have definitely hit other tyres in kerbs and potholes a lot harder but this is my first blowout. Now that I have tyre off the car I can see it wearing on the edges as well, both inside and outside but a bit more on outside. Checked other tyres and it is the same on others, more on front, less on the back. Also some graining on the outside, I guess they do not like hard cornering in this hot weather. I don't think they will last more than 10k. Second hand Michelins with 7-7.5mm at the comparable price to new P606 I got 20k miles on the same car and was still able to sell them on ebay, Continental second hand also 7-7.5mm about 18k miles but there was nothing left on them to be ale to sell.

Three A P606 do grip well and this blowout might be isolated incident or do to exact nature of hitting kerb but I think I would have been better off getting another second hand set of Michelins but I could not find anything good at decent price and was risking at running existing tyres below legal limit so resorted to quick and cheap option.

Put on a spare tyre, an ancient Dunlop SP Sport 9000, I am not sure how old it is, it's 40X where the manufacturing date would be so I guess it's older than 2000 and boy it does not have any grip at all in wet. ABS comes every time in wet I push brakes a bit harder and I cannot do right turns or go round the roundabouts at any decent speed in wet with the most of force on the left front tyre where this old Dunlop is.
Second sidewall failure in less than 2 months and 3.5k miles.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	22040  

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 9th August 2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 9th August 2019, 04:08 PM

Maybe worth bringing it up with VOSA.
They should be recalled when you think they can recall Peanuts because it doesn't say May contain nuts on the label.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-a...-safety-defect
Old 9th August 2019, 06:10 PM

Well the first one was at least partially my fault hitting the kerb, but I have hit other tyres a lot harder without any damage to tyres but have bent wheels and suspension, this time it was just a bit of scratch to the wheel. And these are the first 2 sidewall blowouts in my more than 20 year driving history.

Second one today I did not particularly hit anything, I was driving rather enthusiastically on gravel road, it did have some bumps and potholes but all smooth, no sharp edges. Got on the tarmac and it sounded a bit strange. Pulled over in the safe place after mile or so and tyre was almost flat. Could not see any major damage so hooked up compressor and started pumping in air, as the pressure got to 10 PSI I could hear air escaping and found the split. Not even a scratch to rim.

I have couple used sets lined up for tomorrow to go and have a look locally and to see if I can negotiate decent price as they are a bit more than I would like to pay. ContiSport 5 and Primacy 3. About the same price and normally I prefer Michelin but Contis are less age. Everything going well I should be on another set tomorrow and will have 3 tyres to put on ebay.

8 history:
Old 16th August 2019, 06:55 PM

Have talked to many people and it seems it's a common thing that cheap tyres have sidewalls made of cheese.

All the second hand ones locally were not worth the price asked for them. There are much better deals to be had around Birmingham and Manchester but that's a bit far away to go just for tyres and don't have anything else to do that way so got a pair of brand new Michelin PS4 from Amazon through purse.io paying by Bitcoin. £132 for a pair of 225/45R17 for A6 delivered not too bad. They even smell better than other tyres.

Bought a bit more BTC during yesterdays dip and the price have gone up a bit today so it will make it even cheaper so might as well put in another order for pair.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	22066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	22067  

8 history:
Old 16th August 2019, 07:18 PM

Also bought a pair of second hand PZero for S8 255/45R19 locally for £50 for pair. Allegedly only done 3k miles but looks more to me, made in 2017. Only changed front as they were on the limit due to me not swapping them around in time. A lot more grip than 7 year old GY Eagle F1. Now the front is planted when I go full throttle in the corner instead of just going straight before, a lot of fun as I can kick the rear out now with old GY still o the back (no ESP or TC on my S8) If my experience is anything to go by PZero will have just as little grip in 2 years time as I have found all premium tyres degrade and loose grip rapidly when they get 3-5 years old apart from Michelin.

8 history: