A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 10th April 2015, 12:24 AM

So I finally got it sorted. Such a contrary system. All I did was run the pad change opening and closing procedure again, then the pad thickness adaptation, then the function test. Then I tried to clear the code again and it cleared. Then when I killed ignition with the stop button, there was a satisfying whirr from the epb motors as they did the final calibration.

So for anyone else that stumbles across this problem,

Follow the procedure outlined in the ross tech video.

If you can't clear the 02596 code and the final calibration doesn't happen after you kill ignition then:

Cycle epb on then off again.
Open epb fully in basic settings, group 007, wait 30 seconds then close controller.
Close ebp fully in basic settings, group 006, wait 30 seconds then close controller.
Put in new pad thickness in adaptation, group 006, test, then save.
Run function test in basic settings, group 010, ebp moves in and out 3 times, wait 30 seconds then close controller.
Then open epb controller and try clear the fault codes, if they clear then close vcds, turn off ignition, lock steering.
You should now hear the motors do the final calibration.
Loudly curse about the hours you've lost with this pernickety system.
Old 10th April 2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipptop View Post
So I finally got it sorted. Such a contrary system. All I did was run the pad change opening and closing procedure again, then the pad thickness adaptation, then the function test. Then I tried to clear the code again and it cleared. Then when I killed ignition with the stop button, there was a satisfying whirr from the epb motors as they did the final calibration.
Glad you got it sorted

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 10th April 2015, 06:55 PM

If you read the ross tech notes on this it does say you need to follow the procedure by the letter, silly sausage lol! Atleast it's all done now and your driving happy
Old 10th April 2015, 07:13 PM

Am, I did follow it to the letter... I had to re-do the entire process as if I was changing the pads again to get the code to clear.
Old 10th April 2015, 10:04 PM

Just re read through the document and seen how it can be interpreted differently, when I was reading the document it read as a whole process, the first two where sub options for whether I wanted to pad change or repair, then I followed the procedure i.e closing calipers then function test, not just follow certain steps of the process, I know when I did mine I followed it to the letter but I also had problems and I was still starting from the beginning I.e from opening the calipers, mine wouldn't do a function test to begin with, can't remember how I overcame it I think it just played ball then took the adaptation once it cycled.
Old 11th April 2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles View Post
Just re read through the document and seen how it can be interpreted differently, when I was reading the document it read as a whole process, the first two where sub options for whether I wanted to pad change or repair, then I followed the procedure i.e closing calipers then function test, not just follow certain steps of the process, I know when I did mine I followed it to the letter but I also had problems and I was still starting from the beginning I.e from opening the calipers, mine wouldn't do a function test to begin with, can't remember how I overcame it I think it just played ball then took the adaptation once it cycled.
Yeah I get what you mean its down to interpretation. I did the process as ross tech said, however when I met bother clearing the fault codes, ross tech advised just to keep doing the adaptation and function test until everything works out, they don't say to repeat the opening and closing again, just the adaptation and function test. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.
Old 18th July 2015, 01:16 PM

I have this issue on my 2005 3.0tdi - rear pads changed 2 months ago and I've just been driving it since as I really haven't the time to sort it. The EPB works. Rear brakes are engaging and I've tried the processes at a friend's garage with his scanners last week but I'll give it another shot through the whole process as you guys have stated above.

My question is this - with the pads having been fitted for 8 weeks what pad thickness size should I put in for the adaptation please?

Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 07:53 AM

Right - I went back to my friend's garage yesterday and connected up his Omniscan unit. Went through the processes outlined above. I can get the the brakes to open and close and then go to adjust adaptation levels but then when I get into the function test it does nothing?

The brake pad light is still on, the rear brakes recalibrate when I take the keys out and the EPB is working but still got the same fault code too?!?!

Old 30th July 2015, 05:36 PM

I'll guess only a very few will be using omniscan, pretty much standard on here to be using vagcom, if you doing everything BY THE LETTER, and it's still not working then I'd try getting hold of someone's VCDS first before going any further.

My car didn't do anything on the function test iirc and I can't remember what I did to make it work I think it just started working after messing around a bit, and make sure you cycle the EPB before starting the procedure.
Old 31st July 2015, 08:26 AM

I'm going to book a mobile tech to come round with VCDS - thanks