A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 29th April 2015, 01:59 PM

Just did my air and diesel filter yesterday. Air filter looked as bad as yours. Car has 170k miles and no mention of diesel filter in the service history. Got both filters from audi with trade discount for €110. The diesel filter i cut open afterwards and out spewed some very dirty gunge. The paper filter inside was covered in a slimy gloopy sludge aswell.

I had a slight shudder throughout the car at low revs, most noticable at 70-80mph even on glass like roads, I was convinced there was a gearbox issue and was lining up a fluid change. The shudder is gone after the filter changes so i guess it was partailly blocked and starved of fuel at low revs.

A lesson to start simple!
Old 29th April 2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipptop View Post
Just did my air and diesel filter yesterday. Air filter looked as bad as yours. Car has 170k miles and no mention of diesel filter in the service history. Got both filters from audi with trade discount for €110. The diesel filter i cut open afterwards and out spewed some very dirty gunge. The paper filter inside was covered in a slimy gloopy sludge aswell.

I had a slight shudder throughout the car at low revs, most noticable at 70-80mph even on glass like roads, I was convinced there was a gearbox issue and was lining up a fluid change. The shudder is gone after the filter changes so i guess it was partailly blocked and starved of fuel at low revs.

A lesson to start simple!
Hey that's interesting. I have a very slight shudder between 50-60 mph. I've had the wheels balanced/checked and a 4 wheel alignment (checked, and it was fine) and replaced all four tyres, still there, very slightly, and bugs the s@*t out of me.

How easy was the diesel filter to replace?

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 29th April 2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles View Post
Was there not a date stamped into the filter?

I'd say it looks like it hasn't been changed in a while but it all depends on where your driving, I have noticed the d3 is quite good at scooping crap into the air filter housing, iv also noted what a crap design it is, my opinion is it hasn't been changed in quite a while, wouldn't be the first time any main dealer hasn't bothered changing all the filters.
Didn't see a date on it. I still have it (in the wheely bin) if anyone knows where to look for a date exactly.

Quote:
I don't know if I posted it on here but there was an interesting test done on types of air filters, and unless the filter is a known weak spot or restriction then they didn't give enough benefit to outweighs the cons of the fact they let more dirt into the engine, I'll see if I can dig it up for you too have a read.

Here you go: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Good read

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 29th April 2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
Hey that's interesting. I have a very slight shudder between 50-60 mph. I've had the wheels balanced/checked and a 4 wheel alignment (checked, and it was fine) and replaced all four tyres, still there, very slightly, and bugs the s@*t out of me.

How easy was the diesel filter to replace?
It seriously bugged me too. I only had the car a few weeks and put the shudder down to mixed brands and thread depth on the tyres. I got 4 new dunlops and alignment and balanced twice. Still had the shudder. I felt it most in the accelerator pedal and a little in the gearstick and the passanger seat back would vibrate. Basically ruined the comfort for me anyway.

The diesel filter is easy. Fill the new one with diesel, slap it in, few cranks and it will start again. You could even fill the new filter with a fuel system cleaner like dipethane or stanadyne to give the injectors a good blast.

My shudder is gone, much more responsive too. Im thinking it was the original filter in the car after 170k miles
Old 29th April 2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
Didn't see a date on it. I still have it (in the wheely bin) if anyone knows where to look for a date exactly.

Good read
Take a picture of the top with the black writing and post it on here, not all have a date but a lot do, if you look on the top of the man filter it's on there since the design is the same I'd be surprised they aren't the same manufacturer.
Old 30th April 2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Take a picture of the top with the black writing and post it on here, not all have a date but a lot do, if you look on the top of the man filter it's on there since the design is the same I'd be surprised they aren't the same manufacturer.
Ta da:

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 30th April 2015, 07:24 PM

It's not there, sorry for making you drag it out the bin, if you look on this photo next to made in Germany is the date stamp, funny why they don't put it on the Audi part :\

Old 30th April 2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
It's not there, sorry for making you drag it out the bin, if you look on this photo next to made in Germany is the date stamp, funny why they don't put it on the Audi part :\

No worries. Didn't think it was there. Ta

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 2nd May 2015, 08:37 AM

Just checked the car's service history. Audi says the air filter was last changed at 86k miles, about 2 years/20k miles ago.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 2nd May 2015, 12:06 PM

My service history was like that, variable servicing iirc, 20k miles is a bit excessive in my eyes regardless if the oil has gotten a lot better over the years, iv now changed the dash to 10k fix servicing intervals, might explain the state of the filter though.