A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 1st May 2015, 06:25 PM

Default 6hp19

Hi all, sorry for yet another gearbox oil thread!

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 09L-927-760.lbl
Part No SW: 4E1 910 156 N HW: 09L 927 156 A
Component: AG6 09L 3,0 TDI RdW 0010
Revision: --H01--- Serial number: 4145009
Coding: 0000001
Shop #: WSC 02313 785 00200
VCID: 2E53E833B9E29E6E36F-807B

So looking to do the gearbox oil and having read through most threads here and on other forums about the 6HP19 i'm still a little confused. Going by the vcds extract above I reckon my gearbox should have the 'optomised blue' fluid which I think is G 055 162 or ZF lifegaurd 6+. But my revision number 0010 is quite low so I'm not sure, maybe I have the original yellow fluid. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Also I was in with audi parts a few days ago and I priced up some gearbox oil and filter etc. He was trying to sell me G 060 162 which is the green fluid and it also said something about software on his screen. So I presume if I bought the fluid the dealer was trying to sell me I'd have to get them to do the software update?

I'd like to do the job myself and would like to avoid the dealer at all costs, They want €220 for the fliter and pan gasket and €55 per litre of fluid. Daylight robbery in my opinion, so I can only imagine what they want to actually do the job. I'm in Ireland and the choice of fluid sellers is fairly limited, ZF don't seem to have a seller here. I wouldn't mind ordering from the UK if someone has a good place to go to?

So in summary, can anyone advise what would be the best course of action for me, the only place I'm really stuck is what fluid do I need, and where to get it cheapest?

Car has 171k miles, any input appreciated!
Old 1st May 2015, 09:10 PM

Default Robbing bar stewards

I too want my gearbox done, but i'm not giving a penny to Audi for it.

I will take the opportunity to go to dortmund and have ZF do the gearbox oil change along with any software update it might need.

My recent findings of Audi's poor performance as far as servicing is concerned leaves a bitter taste and no confidence to do work like that.

Fancy a wee group holiday to dortmund?

Old 1st May 2015, 10:07 PM

Is that 171k miles or km?

Miles, I'd not bother.. Km, then maybe, but find a ZF place to do it and get the software updates, etc.

I know.. I know..

Old 1st May 2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Is that 171k miles or km?

Miles, I'd not bother.. Km, then maybe, but find a ZF place to do it and get the software updates, etc.
Its 171000 miles. Why would you not bother? I've seen that said on a few threads and frankly the explanations people gave as to why, I don't agree with. New fluid cannot harm the box in my opinion, as long as its the right fluid matched to the right software and correctly executed.

Delboy, Dortmund is a bit far for an oil change! I don't really trust anyone this side of the irish sea to do it properly, Audi no doubt will tell me its sealed for life and have a blank expression when I show them their own tsb's and ZF literature. I want to do it myself, I have the procedure, I have the tools and lift. I just need clarification on which fluid I need. The current info I have is that my gearbox serial number means I have the optomised blue fluid, which is lifegaurd 6+ and the dealer is wrong trying to sell me the latest green fluid. I may well be wrong on that last bit but hopefully someone can clarify for me.
Old 1st May 2015, 11:41 PM

Hello mate
Of course do it plus you really want to so don't stop yourself from doing it. If you haven't got the proper sucking machine which is very expensive then you have not much choice then go like for like. That is because as far as I'm aware, after draining all the oil down there still will be around 2 litres of oil left in the torque converted and you don't want to mix two different oils
Also if you doing it just for the sake of it like me, then don't upgrade the oil if you don't experience any serious issues and especially if you can't vacuum all of the oil.
Do the obvious pan gasket and filter.
Gearbox can be also done through a decent/professional independent audi garage which is equipped with vas and subscription as well as far as I remember.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 2nd May 2015, 08:56 AM

If you're not doing the software update then stick with the same fluid. The latest fluid needs different control firmware.

I know.. I know..

Old 2nd May 2015, 06:11 PM

Good point, same you money on software update and labour because if you are not upgrading oil so you dont have to suck it all out so you can do it your self and that's further savings on labour.

Please remember that, and this is what I can't remember exactly, but when draining or something the gearbox temp should be 50 C, not cold or hot, that was the procedures used when doing my oil change bu pro Audi ex master technicians.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 2nd May 2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
If you're not doing the software update then stick with the same fluid. The latest fluid needs different control firmware.
This is where I'm stuck. From reading the 6hp19 thread on vwaudiforum I think my transmission doesn't require the software update as its a later serial number and was already filled at the factory with optomised blue fluid G 055 162 which required the software update as its different from the earlier fluid used in lower serial number box's. Then from 2008 they started using the green optomised fluid G 060 162. So i'm not sure if that green fluid needs a further software update.

I'd like to use the ZF fluid and parts and avoid the dealer altogether. The dealer wants about €700 just for the parts and oil. I'm sure sourcing direct from ZF would be cheaper but I need to know which Lifegaurd fluid to use, 6, 6+ or 8, and which one corresponds to the blue G 055 162 that I reckon is in my transmission.
Old 2nd May 2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Good point, same you money on software update and labour because if you are not upgrading oil so you dont have to suck it all out so you can do it your self and that's further savings on labour.

Please remember that, and this is what I can't remember exactly, but when draining or something the gearbox temp should be 50 C, not cold or hot, that was the procedures used when doing my oil change bu pro Audi ex master technicians.
Yeah thats correct, you do the final level check between 30 to 40 degrees, I have the procedure, thats not the problem. Trying to figure out what fluid I need is the current headache.
Old 2nd May 2015, 06:28 PM

If you can afford the time and can travel I would give Mackies in Glasgow a call and drive over to them - you will be pleasantly surprised at their prices and the service is good enough that many members from the forum have used them

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs