D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 7th August 2015, 11:50 AM

Default Europe Map Upgrades - Any Tips?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6907.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	11547All,

I've had a quote in from the dealer of €357 to upgrade the Sat Nav...eeek...

The map itself is pretty outdated tbh and i'd love to upgrade it...but I'm not 100% sure how to do it and if I'd need any discs to upgrade the MMI first? I've seen the packs on ebay but again i'm a bit nervous in case I screw something up...

I took a snap of the map version this morning if anybody has any thoughts, it would be great...cheers....
Old 7th August 2015, 12:09 PM

Welcome and I am sure that someone will be along shortly to provide chapter and verse. (mine is old school RNS-D)
Old 7th August 2015, 12:34 PM

Hiya

That appears to be a 2009-10 map DVD you've got there?

Assuming you have MMI 2G, which is what it looks like, you just need to swap the nav disc and it will run a small update for the firmware on the nav part only. It doesn't mess with the rest of your MMI.

If you're handy burning media there are many places to download updates. If you're not then I or a number of others can supply in exchange for some beer tokens (and a hell of a lot less than the dealer!)

A

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 7th August 2015, 12:38 PM

Thanks Adrian. From the box that came with the car it's a 2007 version.

How would I check if it's 2g?

Cheers
Old 7th August 2015, 12:44 PM

If you've got a nav drive that takes DVDs then it's 2G - later cars get HDD nav, eventually!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 7th August 2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Welcome and I am sure that someone will be along shortly to provide chapter and verse. (mine is old school RNS-D)
Thanks David. I just picked it up this week and so far I'm delighted with. I'm getting a few jobs done on her next week in the dealer such as pollen filter, brake fluid top up and then i've the fog light to replace.

Then I'm getting a full detail on it (i'll ask the detailer to take before and afters) and then getting it rebadged....

So, delighted to be part of the forum and looking forward to sharing experiences and car A8 stuff....
Old 7th August 2015, 01:23 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6909.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	11548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
If you've got a nav drive that takes DVDs then it's 2G - later cars get HDD nav, eventually!
HI Adrian, took a snap of the unit..so I'm guessing this is a 2G.

Also, i saw the other unit and I think this is the TV tuner? Which is weird because whilst I can get TV audio, i can't get Video....Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6909.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	11548
Old 7th August 2015, 04:01 PM

That's the 2G Nav unit.. Backup copies of the discs are available on the internet, though obviously you would still need to buy the original from Audi to have the proper licences, and remain legal and all that stuff *ahem*

If you get TV audio, then sounds like you have a DVB tuner, have you tested it without the engine running, if I remember rightly, my PF had an issue where the speed limiter had been set to 0 initially, so it wouldn't show TV if the car was running. There are plenty of tools out there to turn on TV in Motion, though you need VCDS.

I know.. I know..

Old 7th August 2015, 08:17 PM

Im guessing you are in Southern Ireland as your dealer price was in Euro.
If so, the TV signal is now MPEG 4 since Saorview was launched. To my knowledge this makes your TV tuner obsolete which is why you can only pick up audio. This is a common problem on BMW's of this era also.

On the Nav Discs, I have previously used several backup copies from ebay without issue.
I wouldnt bother with the MMI update unless you are having issues.
Old 7th August 2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
Im guessing you are in Southern Ireland as your dealer price was in Euro.
In the interest of peace, harmony, apple trees and honey bees, I think our new member is in the Republic of Ireland.