A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 2nd May 2019, 08:06 PM

Thumbs up A day trip to Mackie's in Glasgow

The other day (Friday 26th April 2019 to be precise) I took my car in for a gearbox service at Mackie Automatic Transmissions Ltd (Mackie's) at 95 Causewayside Street, Tollcross, Glasgow, G32 8LT

I turned up at 8am, which was their opening time, and left the car for a standard gearbox service. The cost of the service was due to be £155 + VAT for my 5 speed ZF 5HP24a - the "bank account clearing" chunk of metal bolted to the undersides of the S8 D2.
The 6 speed box has a service cost in the £300+ range.
(you can read more about the gearboxes on Ian's thread here)

I took the car for the gearbox service for two reasons.
1. The S8 had received a gearbox oil change in the past according to some paperwork that came with the car, but I wasn't overly confident that it had been done or done correctly.
2. There was a slight whine on acceleration that I wanted diagnosing.

But why did I take it to Glasgow from the East Midlands? Well, I was up in Manchester for a film premiere the evening before so was halfway there, and I also got wind of a mini-meet in Glasgow, a town that I had live in twice before (Rutherglen). So the attraction to the other side of the border was quite strong, especially since I had heard good things about Mackie's.
I could have gone to Chester Automatic Transmission Centre but as I was to find out that day, Mackie's actually do some work for Chester Transmissions. The web address for Chester Transmissions is www.transcentre.co.uk. I wonder if they regret choosing that URL back in the day

After leaving the car I got the bus into the city centre to visit some of my old workplaces but by 2pm I decided to journey back to see how things were faring. I had expected a call by then but as I hadn't received one, I thought I'd spend the afternoon in their waiting room.

When I arrived back I was greeted by a gent who, with a sharp intake of breath and a shake of the head, proceeded to tell me that there had been issues!
Apparently, the technician had struggled for a long while to remove all the corroded bolts holding the sump in place and was now cautiously drilling them all out to fit Helicoil screwlocks. In my innocence, I thought this just meant that I would have an extended delay. Little did I know that it would cost me a lot more than that

Anyway, I sat down and enjoyed the coffee until I saw a framed poster on their office wall behind the counter:

Well....... it would be rude not to
So after a little wait, I was called from behind the counter to start my tour behind the scenes
I was permitted to take some photos in various places and I listened intently to everything that was told to me. However, I have forgotten a lot of the valuable info imparted so instead I'll show you just a few images to give you a taste of what their operation is like.

First stop was the booking-in area (I soon found that the place was very compartmentalised).
This is where they book-in and inspect the gearboxes. To the right, just out of shot are the cleaning bays (of which there are many around the huge workshop) and behind me were racks of checked-in gearboxes waiting their turn for treatment.
There were quite a few from Kia and Hyundai as Mackie's have a contract with them.

The next bays shown to me involved the stripping down of the boxes.
As you can see, they don't like working with anything dirty and I was surprised by the relative cleanliness (in terms of a workshop) of the place and the cleaned gearbox parts that they are working with.
The floor has these blue rubber(?) squares all joined together which were a little slippy underfoot but I guess are much easier to clean than concrete and much more forgiving on a part should it be accidentally dropped.

After removing the sump and valve body (behind this bay)........

It's time to clean and recondition the clutches......

These clutches appeared to be rather complicated things to me
If you want to see how complicated they are, try looking at the first three posts on this other forum thread.

You may notice in some images that some stainless equipment has a Mackie logo on it, like this diagnostic machine.
These are machines that John Mackie has developed over the years and are now made for other workshops.

In this image, you can see a gearbox test taking place. This room was like a sauna!
The gearbox is wired up in a "life support machine" kind of way and put through its paces. It's a noisy place too!
Just under the "Danger Hot Oil" sign, you can see a dark metal plate.
These are custom produced by Mackie's with their own CNC machine and are specific to each type of gearbox.

Here you can see the rack of support plates that the gearboxes are attached to. Can you spot the 6HP plate?

This is one of the machines developed by Mackie's. It's a valve body diagnostic machine. Quite impressive.

Roll up, roll up! Get your torque converters here!

These toroidal chunks of metal transfer the energy from the engine to the gearbox.
"In brief, the torque converter is a type of fluid coupling, which allows the engine to spin somewhat independently of the transmission. It is responsible for pressurising automatic transmission fluid - a pressurisation that supplies the force necessary to shift transmission gears."
For those not used to this concept (like me), you can get a better idea in this video.

Here's one that has been cleaned and expanded for reconditioning:

And this old thing is from a GM production line from a long time ago.
Apparently, welding the torque converter seems around the edges of the metal doughnut is not such an easy thing to do by hand if you want a perfect job doing. Who knew??

The all-essential torque converter balancing machine.

Sealed and cleaned (sometimes by sandblasting) before compressed air is blown into them underwater - like you would test a tyre underwater to make sure that there were no holes.

Next comes the dispatch area once things are all fettled and fine-tuned.

If like me, you're a fan of The Proclaimers, you may be familiar with one of their songs called "Throw the 'R' Away"
It's about the Glaswegian guttural "r", pronounced at the end of words, which could be lost within a generation.

Well it seems that Mackie's are playing their part in this cultural change with their packaging.
Either that or they have such a contempt for anything European that they can't bring themselves to say the word..
(Hint: check the wording on the white box )

Until now, all of the above had nothing to do with my car, as nothing required reconditioning.

Here is the technician who worked on my car, prior to him doing a test drive.

I asked him about the whine on acceleration to which he replied "what whine?".
And since driving the car since the service I can understand his reply as it is now without the whine (although he did do a test before the gearbox service so I don't know why he didn't spot it then as I told them about it ).

I thought I'd throw in a quiz question here....
Is that my car (D2 S8) on the lift in the foreground? Basically a bit of wheel and undercarriage.
Do you know the underside of your D2's well enough?
Or not? (MJ is excluded from this as this would not be a challenge for her).

So....
On to the oil change.
The machine that does the magic is called (by Mackie's) the "Hot Flush" machine.
I've seen it called the "slurpy machine" or the "pushy / pully machine" and other variants, but this is what it looks like in the flesh.

And once that had done its job (and the sump was cleaned and fastened on with the aforementioned fasteners), the car was test-driven and I was back in the office for the bill.

I was expecting £155 + VAT for the job but it was at this time, after all but two staff had gone home, that the subject of the "extra hours" work needed to be discussed.
"How much were you quoted??" said the foreman behind the desk.

"£155 + VAT" I replied

"For an S8??" he quickly responded...

"Yes. I was quoted £155 + VAT when I booked the appointment over the phone earlier in the week", said I, knowing that the person who had quoted me was Lisa Mackie, who was the only other employee in the building and was sat in the same office. She sheepishly did not look up from her computer screen.

The foreman muttered something about the S8 been more difficult to get to because "of the extra hardware" that needed to be moved out of the way. I did not have the knowledge to challenge him on that.

"And then there is the extra 5 hours that our technician has taken to drill and re-tap the sump holes".

Annoyingly I said that to spring such a thing on me at the 11th hour without consultation was a very poor practice (or words to that effect).
We finally agreed on me paying an extra 3 hours for the 5 hours of supplementary work, which at £75 per hour + VAT, brought the total bill to about £456.
An expensive day, what with the fuel and Travelodge, but a great experience topped off by a pub classic in a Wetherspoons in Helensburgh with some rather charming people.

And the gearbox appears smoother and definitely quieter

And finally, just in case you couldn't read the mantra on Mackie's wall in the previous image......

Too Much...or...too little
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make worse and sell a little cheaper.
The people who consider price only, are this man's lawful prey.
It is unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little.
When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all.
But when you pay too little you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the things you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.
It can't be done!

Aye, right!

(or as us Yorkshiremen say in fewer words: You buy cheap, you buy twice!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_135208.jpg
Views:	1231
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	21532   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_140835.jpg
Views:	1188
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	21533   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_141155.jpg
Views:	1201
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	21534   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_141159.jpg
Views:	1198
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	21535   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_141214.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	21536   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_141317.jpg
Views:	1224
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	21537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_141638 (1).jpg
Views:	1173
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	21538   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_141700 (1).jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	21539   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_141823 (1).jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	21540   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_142105 (1).jpg
Views:	1173
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	21541  

Name:	20190426_142310 (1).jpg
Views:	1192
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	21542   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_142324 (1).jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	21543   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_142802 (1).jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	21544   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_142815 (1).jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	21545   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_142836 (1).jpg
Views:	1080
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	21546   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_143108.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	21547   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_143206.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	21548   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_143217.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	21549   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_143336.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	21550   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_143547.jpg
Views:	1085
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	21551  

Name:	20190426_145151a.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	21552   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_145151b.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	21553  

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Last edited by Spanker; 2nd May 2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:43 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

No photos. Is that just me? And I seem to recall that this is not the full story of your Glasgow visit!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:47 PM

Strange
They show at my end.
I'll edit and see what happens.

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 2nd May 2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
No photos. Is that just me? And I seem to recall that this is not the full story of your Glasgow visit!
None showing for me either.. at least not embedded they are visible at the end of the thread

ETA OK now

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 2nd May 2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:05 PM

I've edited the images and reloaded.
Checked on another PC (different location) and on a mobile and they show for me now.
Visible at your end?

Old 2nd May 2019, 09:34 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I see the photos. Great report Dean. Added to my bucket list of places to visit.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:43 PM

All visible here too: great write up, and makes me feel less guility for not taking pictures on (my several!....) trips to Mackies. And MJ has a storytelling competitor now

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:28 PM

Great write-up! I never cease to be amazed by the people who can take a table full of bits like those photographed and put them all back together again... properly, and with no pieces left over.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:33 PM

Like the story and £500 quid to now know your gearbox is going to be good for many years to come is well worth it

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:45 PM

Just realised that some images were in the wrong order. Corrected this now (I believe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
And I seem to recall that this is not the full story of your Glasgow visit!
That's true! I also recall debating Brexit with 3 overly aggressive () S8 Remainers.