A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 23rd July 2013, 10:44 AM

Default Best roof rail/rack solution for D2 A8

I wonder if any of you clever chaps can help me.

I need something to carry a load on the roof of our A8. I have managed to buy a bike box which has defeated even the cavernous boot of the A8.

I've seen the OEM solution, and a Thule solution. Is there a better alternative? Any specific recommendations?

TIA.
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:32 AM

OEM and Thule are pretty much your lot for decent kits..

I know.. I know..

Old 23rd July 2013, 11:37 AM

Got most of mine from Fleabay - already had a few bits from the roof rack I had on the Ford Focus.
Good kit and fits well.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:41 AM

I've got Thule for mine, but check out Whispbar as well - they now list products for the A8 which they didn't when I bought the Thule ones.

They're very good for cars with integrated roof rails as they get the load as low as possible - I'm assuming their kits for saloons do similar. They accept Thule T track accessories like bike carriers and boxes

http://www.whispbar.co.uk/

Think Halfords sell them but worth shopping around

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:54 AM

Don't know a lot about aftermarket solutions but the genuine roof bars are specific to the 8 are nicely made, fit as you'd expect with a rubber shoe that cups the roofs contour and a tool for doing up the torx bolts to the 6-9nm.

I'm a picky, negitive git and i have to be honest i'm not sure you'll find a better alternative, cheaper maybe but the genuine ones are pretty danm good.

Just for reference with the 8’s door open have a look up on the underside of the opening and there are 2 little arrows pointing at each other, between these is where you fit your bars / rack.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 23rd July 2013, 01:28 PM

The genuine bars are made by Thule - main difference will be that the non-Audi branded alternative may fit something else with a different foot pack, whereas the Audi branded tend to be unique fit.

I have genuine Audi for the A6 and they're a very square profile bar but with the T section fittings for Thule accessories. They're quite noisy compared to later Aero or Wing bars made by Thule.

Modern bar designs tend to be a lot more aerodynamic in profile so less noisy and tend to favour carrying stuff with the T section fittings over old fashioned clamps - so depends what you want to carry as well.

A cheap set of Audi branded ones will be easiest to fit, for sure, but once setup properly the alternatives work fine.

Will find some pics of the Thule bars fitted to my S8

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 23rd July 2013, 01:41 PM

Many thanks, all. Went for the Thule aero bars.
Old 23rd July 2013, 01:42 PM

Pics of Thule option fitted attached

They also come with the torque limiting screws to make sure you don't over tighten them.

I've used mine a couple of times and left no marks of any kind on the roof
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	604.4 KB
ID:	6409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	6410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	6411   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1295.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	6412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	6413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1297.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	6414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1298.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	6415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1299.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	6416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	6417  

Old 25th July 2013, 07:05 AM

I'm home this wk-end and i have to get the camera out for some other 8 photies so i'll take some of the bars i have. The ones i have don't have as much contact area on the roof, they sit on the raised part only on the outter edges of the roof.

Also yes they are quite square although i didn't really notice any more noise. But the box i picked up that is meant to be genuine had the fitting kit with it and that is Thule, u bolts come up thru the box and a twist type locking doodar that clamps the u bolts thread, i don't like it as there isn't much engagement on the thread and i'm assuming because the bars are quite fat.
I have gone with a new design called washers and nuts, i'm not wanting to blow my own trumpet but i can see it catching on.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 25th July 2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg66 View Post
Many thanks, all. Went for the Thule aero bars.
Fitting tip for you, if you haven't done it already! Don't take too much notice about the measurements in the instructions - set them evenly both sides as a rough guide and then spend the time making sure the feet sit in the groove on the roof as snugly as they can. Do the clamps up a little each side at a time or you find the bar is pulled towards you. It will squeeze the chrome trim a little bit but it relaxes again when you take the bars off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I'm home this wk-end and i have to get the camera out for some other 8 photies so i'll take some of the bars i have. The ones i have don't have as much contact area on the roof, they sit on the raised part only on the outter edges of the roof.

Also yes they are quite square although i didn't really notice any more noise. But the box i picked up that is meant to be genuine had the fitting kit with it and that is Thule, u bolts come up thru the box and a twist type locking doodar that clamps the u bolts thread, i don't like it as there isn't much engagement on the thread and i'm assuming because the bars are quite fat.
I have gone with a new design called washers and nuts, i'm not wanting to blow my own trumpet but i can see it catching on.
Excellent lateral thinking there Dezzy