A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 17th November 2017, 07:32 PM

Default Boot not closing - lesson learned

Closing the boot, the latch mechanism locks around the striker post that is hidden to a certain extent by a spring-loaded vanity cover. I had a problem with my boot not closing yesterday and couldn't risk it by leaving it insecure. I have a huge amount of audio equipment in there and was parked in a public area which caused great concern. I certainly wasn't in a position to remove all boot trim and do the job properly so I sacrificed the spring-loaded vanity cover by snapping it off completely. I tried to insert the Torx head to tighten both bolts, which had become loose to the incessant movement of air pressure, shall we say. I wasn't able even then to gain full access due to the size of the hole/angle and the Torx bit that I was using. I'd already removed what look like a blanking plate inside the boot, behind where the striker post is located.

It was only then that I discovered what a blithering idiot I was. I was showing the person helping me how difficult access was and went to insert the tool from inside the boot where the blanking plate was, in an effort to show exactly where it would be ideal to help tighten the bolts. To my utter amazement, the tool went straight into a hole which I wasn't aware of (two of them, one either side) and was able to get full purchase on the bolts to be able to tighten them up. The Germans think of everything. It's a shame that my brain isn't wired up the same way as our Teutonic friends.

You learn something new every day.
Old 17th November 2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
incessant movement of air pressure, shall we say.
We should definitely compare notes at some point.

I'm sure our sponsors will have a spare boot trim panel on the shelf, and now you know for next time

Tags
boot striking post access