A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 26th October 2016, 04:37 PM

Default MOT Third in my ownership

As title . . . . . She passed.
One advisory, 001 offside front tyre close to the legal limit.

Think the tracking must be slightly out.

In preperation had the rear discs and pads changed, and engine oil and filter replaced.

Quite concerned about the engine oil. I had the oil and filter changed exactly two years ago and when it came out yesterday it was rather lumpy. Actually the porridge was very lumpy. The garage that did the previous oil change charged me for the very expensive long life and showed me the containers before they started. I do not remember them showing me the empty ones afterwards. So they either didn't change the oil or used some cheap substitute. I guess I will not be returning there anytime.

When the old discs were removed from the rear wheels we discovered that they were non Audi and therefore did not have the grubscrews in them. Local Audi at Warrington have told me today that these are not fitted to the A8. I think that they are saying that 'cos they could not see them in the parts catalogue.
Does anyone have the part number for these.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 26th October 2016, 04:40 PM

2 years is a long time for any oil to be in an engine - what mileage have you done in that time?

It's rare even with longlife service schedule to get anywhere near 2 years before the oil quality sensor cries enough

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 26th October 2016, 05:10 PM

Hi Adrian,
Mileage under 11,000 in the two years (from the MOT records). To my mind not a lot.
I was down your way on Monday PM. After I posted on your "cats to Germany" thread I was called out to a 12:30 Manchester to Gatwick aircrew transfer and on the way was passed an immediate run Gatwick to Liverpool. One day I'll manage a trip to Gatwick with time to give you a bell.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 26th October 2016, 05:20 PM

I've nothing to add of note re: the oil, but, I do live a stone's throw from Audi Warrington. If ever I can be of assistance with sourcing parts or whatever, just say the word Ray.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 26th October 2016, 05:36 PM

Thanks John,
Very nice offer but we are only 15 minutes away, unless the M6 government sponsored logitudinal car park is stuffed. But then we could use the A49 from the end of our street.
I've ordered a part that will be in on Friday. Big Audi price of £9.66.

Old 26th October 2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Thanks John,
Very nice offer but we are only 15 minutes away, unless the M6 government sponsored logitudinal car park is stuffed. But then we could use the A49 from the end of our street.
I've ordered a part that will be in on Friday. Big Audi price of £9.66.
Hey big spender!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 26th October 2016, 05:50 PM

My rear nearside jacking point is missing, the car's that is.

Old 27th October 2016, 06:22 AM

2 years is a long time for oil in the engine especially for diesel with DPF. With 11k miles over 2 years I guess you have been doing a lot of short trips which are known to cause excessive DPF regeneration cycles. In the DPF regeneration cycle fuel is injected late in working cycle and /or exhaust cycle to get more heat in DPF and burn off soot. Because it is late in the cycle not all diesel burns , some ends on cylinder walls and gets washed down in sump causing oil contamination. In extreme cases you can even see oil level rise and oil contamination with unburnt diesel can reach over 50% in 10k miles.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 27th October 2016, 09:33 AM

looks like I am learning.
There was me thinking that longlife meant a couple of years. Oh well back to annual oil changing.
The car itself came up with so many miles to service so I organised the oil change. From that I thought that we were OK.

Old 27th October 2016, 09:40 AM

The original service schedules are designed to minimise the inconvenience to powerfully built company directors who do not want to stop for an oil service if they can waft past on their way to racking up 20k miles pa

On an older car in careful ownership doing low annual miles, an annual visit for a drain and fill is a sign of careful ownership and an opportunity to check nothing is about to fall off.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC