A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th March 2019, 06:43 PM

Default Battery help

As some of you know my D3 sees very little use these days.

This evening the car alarm started sounding on the Audi, so I unlocked the car and got but no interior lights. Key in ignition and nothing, had to use emergency release to get key out.

Obviously the battery is flat, so out came the jump leads and I got my diesel Volvo into position to jump start the Audi. I hooked the + terminal directly to the battery and the - side to the battery manager and all the lights came on at which point the Audi successfully started.

She has been outside idling now for nearly an hour, but the battery status on the MMI still only has one bar.

The worrying thing is I connected a multimeter to the battery before doing anything and it said way less than 10V. I am guessing the battery may have been to deeply discharged to be recoverable, and may end up needing a new battery. I did this because my battery charger would not start to charge the battery.

With the engine running the volt meter is showing 14V

I am just heading out to buy some more petrol, the Audi does not have much left in it so I can leave it running.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles