A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 27th October 2013, 06:53 PM

Default Newbie request: Anyone ever tried to reset Tiptronic memory?

Hi guys..
Have an 08 model 3.0TDI Sport D3.
I bought it with just over 80k miles on the clock.
A friend suggested that I should have the Tiptronic memory wiped so that it could adapt to my own driving style and journeys rather than anything related to the previous owner and theirs..

Would that make sense?
I know there's probably a way to do it with VCDS, but have read that there is a way to do it manually, by switching on ignition, then holding down the accelerator past kick-down spot for 5+ seconds..
Is it that simple?

Any help appreciated..
Old 27th October 2013, 09:09 PM

The adaptation should happen after a while anyway, though I have read similar when looking into an issue on the wife's X5 which also has a ZF 6HP gearbox.. Though I think it's nearer 30 seconds you hold it down

I know.. I know..

Old 29th October 2013, 10:49 PM

Thanks PsYcHe
I've tried the 30 seconds.
it's difficult to tell if there has actually been a reset or not as there isn't a confirmation tone etc.
The car feels different, but part of me is saying that it's maybe just a case of me wanting it to have changed and maybe hasn't at all.
One thing that I do know is that there is no instant change in my MPG on my regular daily commute, but then I'd be quite happy with my 36mpg if the driving experience was a tad more exhilarating rather than the feeling of lazy gear changes.
Heading off for a few days at the end of the week so should have a much clearer picture by next week.
Old 30th October 2013, 08:24 AM

There probably won't be any confirmation if its worked and that would reset the throttle body sensitivity if anything.

I know how to reset it in a Merc, and that is as follows. Might be worth a try:
1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.
2. Press the accelerator to the floor (past kick down) and hold for at least five seconds.
3. Turn the key to the off position (don't remove the key), then release the pedal.
4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 30th October 2013, 01:04 PM

There is no driver adaptation that can be reset, as it is continual/rolling rather than accumulative.

You can reset the timing and pressure adaptations using VCDS, but it is highly likely to make things permanently worse unless you do the adaption drive on a rolling road afterwards and you should do this after changing ATF anyway, so might be worth waiting until you have done that.

Adaption Drive Procedure
Use VCDS Transmission>Adapation>Group 001> Save 001 (Reset factory defaults)

1.Drive vehicle with low engine performance until the ATF temperature reaches 60° C, ( ATF temperature must not exceed 100° C)
2.With brake pedal depressed, vehicle completely stopped and engine at idle, switch gear selector from "N" to "D" for 3 seconds repeat 5 times. Perform the same procedure from "N" to "R".
3.Shift from 1st to 2nd while driving at low load and shift down from 2nd to 1st, repeat 5 times.
4.Drive at low engine load (engine torque between 80 Nm and 100 Nm refer to 02 automatic gearbox, MVB 09, 1st display value) till the transmission has shifted in to 6th gear (vehicle speed between 50 and 60 mph). Stay in this 6th gear for 60 seconds. let the vehicle roll to a standstill (with gentle brake application at the end). Repeat four times. The aim is to shift up and down under a very light engine load.
Old 26th May 2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
There is no driver adaptation that can be reset, as it is continual/rolling rather than accumulative.
Does that mean over time the gearbox will learn the driving style of a new owner, or not?

Is there any way to assist or speed up the procedure?
Old 26th May 2014, 12:36 PM

No it won't learn the driver's style - contrary to internet myth, no VAG cars do this.

Long-term, it will compensate for the vehicle parameters and wear and tear.

It will adapt to driving style 'on-the-fly', but this really just means dynamically adapting to current driver demands and by that nature will change continuously.

Last edited by snapdragon; 26th May 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 26th May 2014, 12:39 PM

Ok, cheers.