A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 2nd October 2012, 07:50 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The pipe deffo runs on the N/S of the rear seats as i seen when i had mine out the other day
Maybe they're different on different ages of car, but the pipe to the boot lock actuator runs forwards on mine and through to the boot lid via the two grommets labelled 17 and 17a in the diagram.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I normally get them from ETKA but i wasnt at the right computer when I got this one so I used VAGcat -
http://www.vagcat.com/epc/
but you will need to go to www.vagcat.com first and register as the electronic parts catalogue part of the site asks for you to be signed in.
The other thing to remember is that its not right up to date like ETKA but its generally fine for our older models
Registered and accessed the epc - thanks!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 14th October 2012, 12:35 PM

I was talking to James about how he ran the wiring in your car to the camera Jim. When he took the lock out and fitted the camera, he used the vacuum pipe that goes through the boot lid (visible up by the n/s hinge) through to the lock to run the cable for the video camera so that it still looks OEM when you open the boot. So the vacuum hose that is cut and tied is where it ends now and you either have to remove the wiring that runs in the boot lid vacuum hose and reconnect it to the tied off vacuum hose plus connect back up the other end, or run another vacuum hose to the boot lock. Hope this helps.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 15th October 2012, 06:57 AM

Thanks Neil, but I think James' memory may be playing tricks on him - good to see that this is not just a problem of we older folk!

The vacuum pipe to the boot actuator is still there, connected to the actuator, and runs into the boot. When I get some time, I'm going to take out all the boot trim and get this sorted!
Old 15th October 2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Thanks Neil, but I think James' memory may be playing tricks on him - good to see that this is not just a problem of we older folk!

The vacuum pipe to the boot actuator is still there, connected to the actuator, and runs into the boot. When I get some time, I'm going to take out all the boot trim and get this sorted!
OK I'll tell him you said he's losing it rapidly!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 12th November 2012, 08:21 AM

So, I've left the central locking alone for a while whilst I focus (hee hee) on the reversing camera installation on the nearside.

First I had to cut a couple of holes in a spare n/s rear light unit to take the boot lock that I'd butchered by removing the lock barrel to take the camera instead (first 2 pics).

The camera is a very neat fit into the empty lock carrier as the second couple of pics show.

But, I had to break off part of the chrome surround as there's a bit that extends down the lock barrel and that meant I had to have the remaining part machined so that the camera would fit flush inside it (pics 5 & 6).

The last 2 pics show the camera inserted into the lock carrier and then positioned loosely into the light unit. I still have to seal it and make it sit a bit more centrally before the light unit goes back into the car, but so far it's looking pretty good I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	5251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0235.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	842.7 KB
ID:	5252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	900.9 KB
ID:	5253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0301.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	915.9 KB
ID:	5254   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0073.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	5255   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0076.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	5256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	5257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0303.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	5258  
Old 16th January 2013, 10:42 AM

Well, I'm ready to fit this and sort out the boot lock, but I need a connector for the vacuum pipe on the central locking. Does anyone happen to know what diameter the pipe/tube is so I can look for one on ebay?
Old 2nd March 2013, 05:33 PM

Well, nearly there. Central locking now working on the boot lock - many thanks to A8 Parts for the connectors.

But not without some problems. It took a while to find the disconnected vacuum pipe form the boot mechanism. The pipe that I thought it was previously was, in fact, the wiring for the reversing camera. And it was a hell of a job getting an extra pipe through the two grommets - would have been impossible without David's help. Thanks David!

And then, when it was all connected, there was a vacuum leak! Turned out to be the rubber seal on the rod that the mechanism actuates to disconnect the boot lock when the car is locked. Luckily, I had a spare.

So, the central locking works fully and the reversing camera works again (see the photo to show installation in near side light cluster to mirror the boot lock on the off side.

BUT - I put the f*****g camera in upside down!

So, another weekend it'll all have to come out again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reversing camera.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	5712  
Old 2nd March 2013, 05:52 PM

BUT - I put the f*****g camera in upside down!

So it was the camera's fault?