A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 7th August 2017, 01:23 PM

Well to date, the noise has gotten a little louder, but nothing has exploded or fallen off yet.

I have replaced all 4 tyres and that made no difference whatsoever.

I have taken the car to Chester Automatic Transmissions who got the car on the ramps, dipped the oil in all of the diffs and took it for two separate test drives and they are convinced that it is not gearbox/diff/prop shaft noise. In fact they said for the mileage, the car drove very smoothly and quietly apart from this overrun noise. They were perplexed and said it was something they had never heard before.

The noise appears to come from around the steering column area and is purely road speed dependant and not engine speed dependant. They did not discount that it could be something like a CV joint or wheel bearing but said that it would be noisier going round corners/tight turns, which it isn't.

Sometime this coming week I plan to get the car up on the jack and test the wheel bearings myself. This is the only thing I can think of. Unless anyone else has any more ideas.....
Old 5th September 2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
Well to date, the noise has gotten a little louder, but nothing has exploded or fallen off yet.

I have replaced all 4 tyres and that made no difference whatsoever.

I have taken the car to Chester Automatic Transmissions who got the car on the ramps, dipped the oil in all of the diffs and took it for two separate test drives and they are convinced that it is not gearbox/diff/prop shaft noise. In fact they said for the mileage, the car drove very smoothly and quietly apart from this overrun noise. They were perplexed and said it was something they had never heard before.

The noise appears to come from around the steering column area and is purely road speed dependant and not engine speed dependant. They did not discount that it could be something like a CV joint or wheel bearing but said that it would be noisier going round corners/tight turns, which it isn't.

Sometime this coming week I plan to get the car up on the jack and test the wheel bearings myself. This is the only thing I can think of. Unless anyone else has any more ideas.....
I'd have guessed at wheel bearings or even tyres, sometimes tyres can be responsible for the strangest road noises you will ever hear. If you have any spare winter wheels and tyres then swap them over and try on the same stretch of roads you're getting the noise on and see if it goes or not, an easy one to then eliminate tyres (have you checked tyre pressures too?)

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 21st February 2023, 09:16 PM

Jumping on this since i've started experiencing this same noice/whine in my 2010 A8L D3 Quattro. I've had some other weird issues best described like driving a car with a sloppy dual-mas flywheel, like it's som extra slack/play somewhere in the driveline. And now i get this whining noise if i let of the gas and let the car "brake" on the gears. It's a a rather low milage csr with only 150k km, and I've owned it since 2014 / 100k km and driven it's newer pulled a load or been abused.

I changed the tranny fluid at 120k ish, so it's somewhat unexpected that it's started behaving like this.

Anyone else had the same issue?

I can also add that it's somewhat slow/rough shifting between 2nd & 3rd. Nothing wild, but enough that it's attention annoying. I've been dragging out to sort this out for a while, but seems like i have to do something now (car mechanic, and hate working on my own "crap" &#128518.
BI-Xenon Headlights, Keyless, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI, 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Seat Memory on Both Sides, Heated / Cooled Sport Front Seats, Electrically Adjustable Rear & Heated Rear Seats Alacantra roofliner, Exterior LED Package, Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control & Heated Steeringwheel ++.