A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items

For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items For the personal sale of Vw/Audi parts, tools, vouchers, accessories, anything that isn't an actual car. Absolutely no commercial listings or breaking / bulk / repeated sale of parts or services.

Old 21st January 2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
That's handy to know - last time I asked they couldn't do Brembos.
That’s also what I was told and that’s why I went with Pro Calipers and I don’t regret it.

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 21st January 2019, 05:05 PM

Just confirm got them back today and they look very good

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 21st January 2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
That's handy to know - last time I asked they couldn't do Brembos. Hell of a price though

Please report back on results from Pro-Calipers
I did think that myself regarding their quote.

Still waiting for Pro-Calipers to confirm their price as they queried what paint i'd like. Going with the standard Black Gloss finish.

Will keep everyone posted and post pics of before and after, once if got the N/S/F caliper off. Those 10mm hex bolts are refusing to budge, even with a 2ft breaker bar and a 15 stone bloke hanging off it!

Dan
Old 21st January 2019, 07:26 PM

My bill for the RS6 (they are 6 pots) ended up at £540 which included three new pistons. He does seem to suffer similar OCD tendencies to some members on here as he knocked £50 off as the decalls were a bit "wonky" (see pic), the small gap between the red and the silver. He offered to have them redone as the decalls are under the clearcoat but TBH once they are on the car behind the wheel I doubt anyone will notice, so he reduced the price from £590. Seems a lot but new ones are around £670 EACH + VAT from TPS, so reckon I got a bit of a bargain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caliper.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	20755  

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 21st January 2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 21st January 2019, 08:24 PM

Ah that sounds just like my Sunday.

I wanted to take the Calipers off and clean the shims as I have some corrosion on the Brembos; they have the old problem with the pads going tight and sticking. So wanted to look and address that rather than grinding the pads down to help them fit better.

So yep, one bolt came off easy enough (Well with a breaker bar and heat)...

Then guess what happened next...

Hooray! And yes even with some heat the second bolt did not want to budge!

Checked the discs also and nice and true with no warping which is good to know even though they are getting a little old now. Was going to put some new discs on I had but that's a little hard if you cannot take the caliper off.

The judder looks like to be down to worn track rod ends so will order some Meyle ones to fix that problem. Finally which is really annoying the ABS sensor on that side is on its way out and throwing a code, cleaned it and that did not make much difference. Its rather frustrating the S8 with the 20" wheels has a different ABS sensor to the rest of the range (4D0927803E) and they are also damn expensive (£169!).
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--

Last edited by Nognar; 21st January 2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 22nd January 2019, 02:40 PM

It's the shims I'm also struggling with. Thought about 'shaving' the pads, but would rather do the job properly, especially as it's the brakes!

I've managed to get the N/S/F caliper off, but not without issue. Top bolt came out fine after some soaking with GT85 for a day or two.

The bottom bolt did too, but with the threads from the leg. So it's stripped the last 2/3 of the threads.

So either a replacement leg, slightly over bolt and re-tap the hole or a longer bolt with a locking nut on the other end?
Old 22nd January 2019, 02:55 PM

Steel or alloy hubs?

The other side of the bottom hole is an odd shape so it would need some machining to get a nut on it. Its quite thick though (18-19mm) so if its only taken a couple of threads it'll probably be fine. I'd run a tap through it (m12x1.5) and replace the bolts and see if it will torque up. If it strips the thread when you torque it then you could get it helicoiled, or replace it if you can find one.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 22nd January 2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 22nd January 2019, 06:54 PM

My short term fix was to take a few mm off the pads on the bench grinder.

This stops them getting stuck on the disc and getting hot at higher speeds causing pad transfer/ judder etc. I was getting terrible problems after a drive down the dual carriageway, I could feel them not sitting as they should and grabbing the disc which was causing everything to get rather angry!

They sit Ok in the caliper now they are trimmed down a little and slide as expected. I do want to refurb the caliper itself to get the shims clean and flush as they should be that just turned out to be one of those jobs that just caused problems!
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:32 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Yep Pro-Calipers/Addiction Motorsport.

Very small outfit I think (possibly a one-man-band) but they/he (Thomas) seems to do excellent job. Cosmetically at least, my old calipers certainly appeared to be very thoroughly refurbished. Mechanically I can't comment because I haven't fitted them but Jim has. Are they working ok now Jim?
Yes, touch wood, my brakes are OK now. The ‘clonking’ when changing from reverse to drive (and vice versa) continued after the calipers were changed, and then brake judder came back. I had the discs replaced with the ‘real thing’ and the juddering and clonking went away!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).