A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 17th May 2020, 10:31 PM

Sorry I saw it later on in the dash weighing picture
19kg that's kind of a relief, I was worried it would be heavier. Still not easy to handle, I'm not looking forward to that.

Thanks for the recommendations I will check those out.
I am itching to get started, your posts really motivate me. I am torn between risking ordering a dash and going over there to check it out in person.
Thanks for the offer, I am hoping to get started soon, just need this lockdown to end. Other problem is its my only car so I can't have it out of action for too long, I need it for shopping duties.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:43 PM

Could be a post-lockdown weekend project then.

This one is taking me weeks, but thats because I have nothing else to do and I'm doing a deep clean and complete audio refit as I go along. If you had the donor interior cleaned and ready to go I still think it could be done in a weekend by two people.

I wouldn't really want to try shipping a dash, with or without the extra weight as there is too much delicate stuff to break at the corners. The only safe way to do it would be in a crate which would be very expensive (and look like a coffin!). Collection in person is really the best way to get it intact, plus a good excuse for a road trip

Out of interest, I did manage to get everything from inside an S8, including the headlining, dash, seats and carpet inside my A6, while still being able to drive it home from Prestige!
Old 17th May 2020, 10:55 PM

Wow that is impressive! And there I was worrying how I would fit in the dashboard into a 8
That's great advice, I'll drive over there and select a dash and drive it back myself. I would be too worried that the courier people would damage it during transport.

I do need to give those donor seats a bit of a clean.

By the way I still have those TT Mk1 seats if you want them for free. One is dismantled when I was trying to figure out if I should keep the TT base or bolt it on a D2 manual base instead. I have a couple of those D2 manual bases too. I'll put that seat back together.
Old 11th June 2020, 10:22 PM

This is all that is left of the original audio harness

Switched ignition, illumination, main power (direct from the battery), ground, and reverse. Thats all I needed from the car itself.

Wired up the Kenwood amp:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200609_192904.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	23469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200611_192122.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	23470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200611_195136.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	23471  
Old 22nd October 2020, 04:32 PM

Totally love the purple.....My favourite colour. Used to have a BMW 316i M-sport compact in techno violet. It was BMW's own rip on an M3 looked very similar from the front, but a bit odd from the back being a hatchback. However was so much more practical than a saloon. I miss back seats that fold!

As for bodge jobs, well on my S8 and even my PF D3 4.2 sport, they've been practical daily drivers, with high mileage and run for relatively cheap, but i've never done stuff like that and it's always solve the underlying problem with things and then sort, rather than silicone everything to death but keep the water, that's just madness!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:46 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Michaela
How many hours are there in a day in Devon? We only have 24 up here!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 23rd October 2020, 02:50 PM

Not enough!
Old 8th January 2021, 09:41 PM

Drivetrain time. No good it just being a nice place to sit - it needs to be driveable too so its in for an engine-out service

Due to more bodging by the aforementioned perpetrator, general corrosion and nastiness, it took 2 hours to get the front end off, most of which was taken up with the bumper since both main M12 bolts were seized and one just snapped in half! I can get the bumper off while still attached to the support brackets, but in this case general bodging and gorilla-ing of the bolts made it even more of an ordeal than usual.

I've bought a Gopro for making workshop videos, so here's 2 hours of fighting with it compressed in to 3 and a bit minutes:

https://youtu.be/uUYPe-gVGD4

Only one front panel bolt snapped which is a bonus I guess, although I still have both bumper bolts to deal with at some point. Luckily I bought a load of front panel hardware from Tradition a while back so no qualms about binning rusty hardware now.

This is where I got to by the end of the vid:

This thing is in a terrible state

This is a 2000, from when Xenon Plus were optional. It still has the original external ballasts, but has been retrofitted with the later integrated-ballast headlights.

Oh dear. What has happened here?

The perpetrator has replaced the original sealed connector with some repair wires and an unsealed connector, so of course moisture has got in and eaten the terminals

Not sure what to say about this next bodge...

Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot

Both these abominations will be cut off and replaced with unmolested parts from a spare wiring harness.

End of play today - (almost) everything on the top removed, ready for underneath work tomorrow.

(the snub mount bracket is still attached because one of the bolts is rounded off - that needs cutting off, but Big Red is just out of shot so thats another job for tomorrow when she can be moved)

Brace yourselves for some extra-special bodging....

This is what the bumper support should look like:

This is the passenger side:

One ear has been deiberately cut off to allow it to clear the AC radiator

Just for interest, this is the collection of tools required to get this far:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	25053   Click image for larger version

Name:	102.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	25054   Click image for larger version

Name:	103.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	25055   Click image for larger version

Name:	104.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	25056   Click image for larger version

Name:	105.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	25057   Click image for larger version

Name:	106.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	25058   Click image for larger version

Name:	107.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	25059   Click image for larger version

Name:	108.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	25060   Click image for larger version

Name:	109.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	25061   Click image for larger version

Name:	110.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	25062  

Name:	111.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	25063   Click image for larger version

Name:	112.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	25064   Click image for larger version

Name:	113.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	25065  
Old 9th January 2021, 09:51 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I know it's wrong but I was thinking the Benny Hill Chase theme while watching the video! I'm a bad person arn't I?

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 9th January 2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post

Just for interest, this is the collection of tools required to get this far:

Some very important tools missing there. Kettle, mug and some tea bags!
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder