A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 18th December 2017, 08:53 AM

Default ESP, ABS, Brake light

Hi

There is always something to look at... Today while driving to work (in a traffic)
ESP,ABS , brake warning came on the dash and also I am not able to lift the car. The car drives and brakes normal but there is obviously something going on.

In last 5 months, the ESP light came on twice however after re-starting the car all was fine.
A month ago the ESP. ABS, Brake error came on the dash and after restarting the car everything was fine since.

Sadly I restarted the car when I parked up at work but the error is still there.

Any ideas what that could be?? I read something about brake light switch which might be causing it.

Thank you

Previous : Chevrolet Blazer 2001 LT 4.3 petrol
Old 20th December 2017, 11:57 AM

A scan will help to pinpoint it. I had a wheel bearing go which mashed an ABS sensor, causing similar errors.

I know.. I know..

Old 20th December 2017, 01:04 PM

Default Scan

Please see the scan..since the error has occured most of the modules show malfunction.. I am currently on holiday in slovakia where most of the audi,skoda,vw parts comming from. One of the mechanics also said replacing brake light switch (which i just bough OEM for 13euros)might fix it.
I am still open to any suggestions.
Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: txt Log-AO53FVD-WAUZZZ4E73N008348-18dec2017.txt (27.0 KB, 535 views)

Old 20th December 2017, 07:09 PM

Yeah, looks like brake light switch

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.
Old 6th January 2018, 03:07 PM

Default fault

Happy New year

...so I am back with an update. I recently bought the brake light switch which didn't solve the ABS,ESP,speedo problem. It turned out is a controller on the ABS pump, as the A8 permanently had error lights on and VAG pointed out the controller.
I have decided to remove the controller (black plastic box as on picture) and try to fix it. I am telling you is a pain to open the box. resoldered all hair thin connections (they are not even visible in the picture) and also the ticker silver connections (8 approx) tested connections with a multimeter all good. sealed it back and re-installed it back to the car,,, sadly communication with the controller still persist(I guess is one of the chips is faulty), so sourced matching pump+controller from Prestige Motor Services and swapped the controller only.. Connected VAG and read the controller so happy times, ECU is communicating with ABS. however when I try to code the controller(same codes as on the old one) it does go through "Coding accepted" but once I close the controller reopen ABS Brakes the coding is gone. Does anybody have an idea why is that??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2206.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	17723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	17724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	17725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	17726  

Old 16th January 2018, 05:26 PM

The code has bee accepted, I took the car for a spin and in about 4 min dashboard beeped and ESP,ABS light gone...So all good.
Another job done.

Old 16th January 2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackovicj View Post
The code has bee accepted, I took the car for a spin and in about 4 min dashboard beeped and ESP,ABS light gone...So all good.
Another job done.
You may still get something showing up on a scan regarding the brake ECU because a new one was not fitted, it did that on mine and is always there but compared to fault lights and beeps it's ok!!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 28th October 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackovicj View Post
Another job done.
Mate good news you got it sorted.
I have exactly the same problem with my D3, can you tell me where abouts the unit is situated on the car?
Old 29th October 2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrozA8 View Post
Mate good news you got it sorted.
I have exactly the same problem with my D3, can you tell me where abouts the unit is situated on the car?
Hi

Is on the right hand side in the engine bay(circled in yellow), kinda under the servo reservoir. It has 4 black metal pipes going into the silver aluminium pump body...The controller is the black plastic box screwed on the left hand side of the pump(Audi A8 D3)..
The 2nd picture is for illustration purposes but the controller is the black box which fella is holding on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	523
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	20287   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	535
Size:	811.5 KB
ID:	20288  

Old 30th October 2018, 10:56 PM

Mate thanks for the reply, I originally thought I would have to take covers off etc but when I went and had half a look there it was in plain sight just as you have advised.

I should have had a look before posting, thanks for the time.