A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 30th May 2014, 04:45 PM

Default Nuts to clean it.

The internet is awash with horror stories as we know but one of them in paticular has managed to sow the seed of doubt in me grey matter.

The FSI engines as we all know are direct injection and because of it the inlet valves don't get cleaned by fuel passing over them, this combined with the crankcase gases being recycled to save the planet blah blah all add up to the perfect recipe for coke buildup.

Has anyone here had theirs cleaned and if so what kind of mileage and state was it in.

Read a thread on another forum of an rs4 losing 100bhp because of it.

Because of that I am considering get the car dyno'd to see if I am down on power and if it is thinking of getting the equipment to blast the valves with walnut shells.

Thoughts?

Old 30th May 2014, 05:57 PM

Hiya

The approach you're planning is the way to go - there's barely a single B7 RS4 that makes the claimed power, but plenty that are a long way short.

I don't believe the V10 is as badly affected - certainly not heard horror stories with the RS6 either, although that's obviously got 2 turbos helping to blast any crud out!

Think MRC use the crushed nut method for cleaning the inlets? May be just as costly to take the inlet manifold off and clean it with liquid - you would at least be able to see the state of the inlet clearly then.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 30th May 2014, 06:10 PM

In order to get in with the crushed nut to blast the valves clean it requires the manifold off for access.

Would also give me good reason to service the plenum change over valves while it was off, not there's a problem with mine just better to do before they become an issue.

Old 30th May 2014, 11:06 PM

Good point - getting behind the valves is as much of an issue as the manifold. I gather they gum up pretty well with a varnish like residue

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 30th May 2014, 11:24 PM

Classic example

https://www.facebook.com/mrctuning/p...401255/?type=1