A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 20th September 2016, 04:41 PM

Yup. It works for me
Old 20th September 2016, 05:32 PM

looks worth trying before I spend any money !
Old 21st September 2016, 06:15 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
looks worth trying before I spend any money !
Ah, a man after my own heart! I'm the son of Yorkshire parents and married to a Scot!

But, more seriously, I'm guilty of stopping with the foot brake on, but then my usual commute doesn't call for heavy braking, so maybe the pads just don't get too hot?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 21st September 2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I have often wondered if uprated/vented discs might help.
It's already fitted with vented discs
If you mean cross drilled or slotted, slotted are supposed to help clean the pad surface whilst braking (as well as increase surface area for cooling).
Cross drilled brakes just cool slightly better - there's probably some surface cleaning benefit, but just superficial.

If you're going to experiment with different discs, try Adams Rotors.

I think a lot of brake issues stems from people habitually braking late and heavy because of the stress involved in heavy traffic and simply because the car has good brakes. Hard, late and heavy braking will suddenly heat the disc surface up and lead to uneven hot spots. Longer gentler braking will more evenly heat the disc surface and keep it cooler.

I think the choice of pad is important too - I always select a good quality ceramic pad.

I have never had a warping or juddering disc problem with my cars

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 21st September 2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 21st September 2016, 07:15 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post

I think the choice of pad is important too - I always select a good quality ceramic pad.
Do you have a brand/part number that you'd recommend? I'm never that happy with the S8 brakes; I've had discs replaced and calipers refurbished, but they're always just OK IMHO.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 21st September 2016, 09:20 AM

I put some Mintex on mine yesterday and they have transformed the braking response compared to the awful Bosch ones which were on it when I got it. The pedal is much firmer too. I'll post the part number up this afternoon
Old 21st September 2016, 09:48 AM

as I understand it brake pad materials are on the change due to the fact that disc brakes are highly polluting ; in the USA new regulations are already enacted to reduce the amount of copper in pad material , and the EU are funding research under the REBRAKE programme

the new eco material from ferodo reduces stopping distances on road pads by 10% according to tests at MIRA , as well as reducing pollution , already being fitted as road pads on some mercedes and audi models

have a look at wear debris materials from the university of trento
Old 21st September 2016, 10:59 AM

That would be good progress Those Bosch pads I had made the wheels filthy in a couple of miles after a clean. That can't be good for roadside airborne pollution levels - I certainly wouldn't want to be breathing it in!
Old 21st September 2016, 12:39 PM

I wanted Hawk Ceramic Pads, but they don't make a 993/S8 pad in the Ceramic range anymore (Heard good things about HPS though). So I've got Hawks rear and EBC Red Stuff front.
Low dust is great, but haven't done a lot a mileage with them yet.

Another neat little upgrade is a 'brake block' which is a small metal block which wedges between the master cylinder and the strut brace and reduces firewall flex. Gruven are proposing producing them.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 21st September 2016, 02:25 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
I wanted Hawk Ceramic Pads, but they don't make a 993/S8 pad in the Ceramic range anymore (Heard good things about HPS though). So I've got Hawks rear and EBC Red Stuff front.
Low dust is great, but haven't done a lot a mileage with them yet.

Another neat little upgrade is a 'brake block' which is a small metal block which wedges between the master cylinder and the strut brace and reduces firewall flex. Gruven are proposing producing them.
hawk ceramic is exactly the sort of pad I don't want ....with 110K the maximum speed limit anywhere in the uk and on almost all the roads in france where I live spirited driving is a rare occurance so the pads better suited to short stopping distances at lower speeds are what I need

horses for courses as always