A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 15th April 2017, 02:20 PM

Two quick follow up questions for you experts regarding this issue.

I noticed the same wet floor carpet issue in the passenger side of my S8 (LHD). I've gone through the normal drain cleaning procedures for wheel-well drains, the main drain in the engine bay and the AC drains. While doing so I noticed that one of the orange drains inside the cabin had a small cut. I was under the impression that the drain goes deep behind the trans and my only option was to tackle the replacement when having the trans out. That's not what I'm reading here.

Can anyone confirm that you can, in fact, remove and reinstall the drains from inside the cabin? If anyone has pix of the actual orange drain out so I can see the shape it would be most helpful.

Also...as I read this great thread I can't help but wonder.....who are Botang and Dizzy? I'm sure there is a story behind those names.
BMW 850i - Red 6speed
BMW 850Csi - Red 6speed
Ford Thunderbird x 3 Supercharged & 5speeds
Mustang convertible
Range Rover Autobiography - BRG/English Tan
Old 15th April 2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
Can anyone confirm that you can, in fact, remove and reinstall the drains from inside the cabin? If anyone has pix of the actual orange drain out so I can see the shape it would be most helpful.
Yes you can - I've done it on mine. They pop out and back in pretty easily.

Not my enormous picture:

Right side is the tunnel, left side is inside the cabin.
Old 15th April 2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yes you can - I've done it on mine. They pop out and back in pretty easily.

Not my enormous picture:

Right side is the tunnel, left side is inside the cabin.
Lightning fast reply! Now some of the comments make a lot more sense. I tried pulling on mine when I cleaned the vents but it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to risk breaking anything. I'll give it another go now that I know what it looks like.

Thanks!!!
BMW 850i - Red 6speed
BMW 850Csi - Red 6speed
Mustang convertible
Old 15th April 2017, 05:35 PM

Getting them out is usually easy, putting back trickier.
Soak them in hot water with plenty of washing-up liquid to make them soft and slippery!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th April 2017, 10:07 PM

I found it also helped to cut and fold back the padding round it a bit, sticks back in again no problem with some double sided tape

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 16th April 2017, 08:31 AM

It doesn't need tape, it fits very snugly; the important thing is to get the smaller grommet fitted properly onto the metal of the transmission tunnel, it goes in further than you might think at first.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th April 2017, 08:52 AM

I think he meant tape for padding if you cut it to get better access.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 17th April 2017, 09:26 AM

You're right Ainars, didn't read it correctly, but if softened and lubricated (!) it goes in fine.
Old 17th April 2017, 09:34 AM

Exactly Mine was fairly butchered sometime in the past and needs tape to keep it together.
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:17 PM

Spent the last 45 minutes searching my usual online parts catalog for the PN for this orange piece and I was not able to find it. I'll try again later today but wondering if anyone has the PN handy? or maybe have one of these pieces handy to check for a PN?
BMW 850i - Red 6speed
BMW 850Csi - Red 6speed
Mustang convertible