A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 3rd April 2020, 05:40 PM

Default Crank Position Sensor - That Zip Tie!

Good afternoon all,

Well as we were in lockdown I thought I would get round to replacing the CPS on the S8.

Worked fine when cold but would not hot start, engine spun and did not fire into life. It was beginning to get worse so thought its Friday lets just get it done. Plenty of threads on it already but I wanted to share a photo of the Zip Tie from hell! The job takes a little time and is rather fiddly to do, the hardest part is cutting the zip tie that holds the cable. Its halfway down at the back of the engine and not in anyway easy to get to.

For reference here is the offending article (If you look directly down at the back of the engine below the crank case vent valve)

I used a long screwdriver blade in the end, but be very careful as there are many pipes and cables down there.

For information I ordered a VAG 077905381F from eBay for £16, and its located at the 3pm position on the bell housing of the gearbox when you stand at the front of the car looking at the engine bay. One bolt holds it in and its a 5mm hex.

Cable is connected on the bulkhead behind the right side of the engine at the top right by where to heater matrix pipes are.

All done and working, took an hour or so purely due to it being difficult to get to the zip tie. Plus it did take me a little while to fish it through from the top to the bottom of the engine bay.
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--

Last edited by Nognar; 4th April 2020 at 06:11 AM.