A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 25th July 2016, 08:55 AM

Default MMI Update and Red Menu - questions

Gents

I promised daft questions, so here's several!

My 8 has MMi software version 4220 and I want to upgrade to 5570. Ive downloaded the 3 iso files and will be burning them to CD tonight. My questions are:

Can I upgrade straight from 4220 to 5570, or do I need to do it in stages with interim versions?

The red menu - Im holding SETUP and RETURN for 10-15 seconds, and the red menu doesnt appear - does the update disc actually have to be in the changer to allow the red menu to be called up?

I know that I should hook up a battery charger during the update process and the system needs to be told to update each of the 3 discs - but other than putting the disc in and clicking update, ok, start update, etc, is there anything else I should know? ie. does the ignition need to be on, are there options I should / shouldn't select, etc?

The green menu - should I wait until after Ive upgraded to activate the green menu via VCDS - ie. if I do it now will the system forget the new setting in the upgrade process? I've a mate at work with a VCDS and I dont want to bother him twice!

All advice gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Adam
Old 25th July 2016, 11:17 AM

Adam,
If I remember correctly!!!!!!
When I updated mine I just kept the engine ticking over, but having a battery charger connected is definitely the safe way.
I just loaded Disc 1 and ran it a couple of times.
Then did the same with the other two discs.
Mine was very low, started with a three, but now lost in that grey mist.
Maybe I was lucky but no problems at all.
Like you at the time I did not have VCDS thinking that the cost was rather prohibitive but when you factor in the amount that the stealers charge you realise that it is money well spent. It really is nice to know that you can dig in and resolve a lot of the probs that appear without building a bigger debit.
We were in Colne late one night when the display came up like a Christmas Tree reporting that everything was broken, the car was about to crash land and the best thing was to abandon it immediately. And it went into limp mode. Luckily I had my laptop with us and was able to reset everything and carried on home with a fully functioning car. The problem resolved to a HID ballast interfering with the electronics. Relocating the ballast helped but I finally replaced both ballasts with newer types and we seem (touch wood) to be OK now.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 25th July 2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Adam,
If I remember correctly!!!!!!
When I updated mine I just kept the engine ticking over, but having a battery charger connected is definitely the safe way.
I just loaded Disc 1 and ran it a couple of times.
Then did the same with the other two discs.
Mine was very low, started with a three, but now lost in that grey mist.
Maybe I was lucky but no problems at all.
Like you at the time I did not have VCDS thinking that the cost was rather prohibitive but when you factor in the amount that the stealers charge you realise that it is money well spent. It really is nice to know that you can dig in and resolve a lot of the probs that appear without building a bigger debit.
We were in Colne late one night when the display came up like a Christmas Tree reporting that everything was broken, the car was about to crash land and the best thing was to abandon it immediately. And it went into limp mode. Luckily I had my laptop with us and was able to reset everything and carried on home with a fully functioning car. The problem resolved to a HID ballast interfering with the electronics. Relocating the ballast helped but I finally replaced both ballasts with newer types and we seem (touch wood) to be OK now.
Thanks Ray - really helpful. Only mystery is this elusive red menu - Im holding RETURN and SETUP together for 15+ seconds but nothing happens - can you remember if the update disc had to be in the changer to allow the red menu to open? Or am I doing something wrong?

Adam
Old 25th July 2016, 01:48 PM

its the green hidden menu that you get by holding car and setup, this needs to be activated with vcds.

by the red menu what is it you want to do? im presuming you have bose and want to do a manual install unclicking the bose update, to stop the need for CP kicking in
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 25th July 2016, 01:59 PM

Hi Limoncello

By the 'red menu' I mean the screen that lists the ICE / Nav /Phone modules installed on your specific vehicle, and from which you start the software update (which is what I want to do with this menu)

All the instructions Ive seen say that you should hold Setup and Return to open this menu, but I cant seem to do it on my car.

Its the screen described in this link: http://mr-fix.info/audi-mmi-2g-hidde...u-description/

In the link it says:

Audi MMI 2G hidden red menu enter procedure:

Turn the ignition on.
Wait few seconds for the system to start.
Press and hold button SETUP and RETURN.
After few seconds Audi MMI 2G hidden red menu will appear on the screen. You can release buttons now.
Use control knob to navigate.

But I cant get this menu to appear. Which means at the moment I cant update my MMI to 5770.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 02:21 PM

I think that option only applies once you have 5570. Yours is older?
To get there see: http://mr-fix.info/mmi-2g-software-update-version-5570/
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 25th July 2016, 02:54 PM

I have 4220.

So I cant get that red menu screen unless I have 5570? But if that's the screen that I launch the software update from, how do I start my software update from 4220 to 5570?

It says on http://mr-fix.info/mmi-2g-software-update-version-5570/ the following:

3.Press and hold buttons SETUP and RETURN.
4. After couple of second hidden red menu will appear. Release the buttons.

But this isn't working for me.

I feel a Catch 22 situation coming on: cant upgrade to version 5770 without the red menu, but red menu only available with version 5570. Arrgghh!
Old 25th July 2016, 03:12 PM

Press SETUP, wait for the screen to change.

Now press and hold SETUP.

Now press and hold RETURN and SETUP together.

Give that a go

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 25th July 2016, 03:14 PM

What it actually says (some stuff removed, some highlighted by me) is:

MMI 2G software update version EU 5150 (It is possible to update to version 5570 only from software 5150 or higher.)
This step is necessary only if you are currently running software version lower than 5150. (Which you say you are)
1.Turn the key to position II and wait for Audi Multi Media Interface to start.
2.Load CD1 into first slot in the CD changer. Did you do this first? This is the 5150 version CD.
3.Press and hold buttons SETUP and RETURN.
4.After couple of second hidden red menu will appear. Release the buttons.
5.Go to SWUpdate → CD-ROM. Update CD content will be verified. Audio will mute.
6.List of devices ready for update will appear on the screen. Scroll down to Start download position and confirm the update. This will take up to 40 minutes.
7.When the update is done you will see update status. Scroll down to Restart MMI and press it. System will reboot and go back to normal operation mode.
8.Take out first MMI 2G software update CD from the CD changer.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 25th July 2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 25th July 2016, 05:08 PM

sorry for the delay

yes that menu looks like the actual update menu, you need to put the disk in first as HP suggests.
from memory
if you have bose go for a manual update, you then select anything you dont want by un ticking the selections for bose. if you dont do this its possible for Component protection to kick in meaning you will have to go to the dealers to release it

if you dont have bose go for the auto update and check all id done at the end, if not, rerun it
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom