A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 18th May 2011, 07:15 PM

Default Lpg?

With the S8 being such a heavy drinker, I'm starting to think about an LPG convo.

Is it DIY able? What about the cost? Who's had a good experience?
Old 18th May 2011, 07:19 PM

I noticed that A8 parts have 3 different kits for sale on their website the other day Simon if thats any use - will be much cheaper than new

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 18th May 2011, 07:55 PM

Check this LPG calculator. http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/savings_calculator.php

It's not really that economical on LPG either, it's about acceptable for a petrol V8 when running on gas. The petrol consumption on an S8 is just silly. If your doing mega mileage then pay the extra and get a D3 TDI IMO. Others think LPG is fantastic and rave about it, my experience put me off.

1. You won't find LPG in every station
2. You still have to fill up petrol
3. It farts and stinks after a fill up
4. Some garages won't work on it
5. If it does go wrong it will be pricey (LPG injectors, separate ECUs)*
6. It needs servicing
7. LPG gauges not accurate, you need to reset your mileage counter and go on that.

Honestly, not a fan of the stuff.

Also, I wouldn't fit it myself as some insurance companies want to see a certificate of installation which you will only get from an authorised fitter. Hopefully Mike/Nathan will be along soon to speak about their positive experience with the stuff.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 18th May 2011, 07:59 PM

Archi

Thanks. Never even crossed my mind to go seconhand.

Singh. Thanks for posting. I'd not thought about it from that point of view at all. The petrols dear these days tho and I really like my D2. Always been an old car guy, always will be.
Might get a D3 when they get old enough tho!
Old 18th May 2011, 08:14 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

As Amar says I really rate LPG. I could not have run my PF S8 without it. I got a fully sequential Prins kit professionally fitted for 2.5k. It paid for itself in 11 months and 26K miles. I averaged the financial equivalent of 30.5 mpg over the 4 years I kept records. Plenty of garages have it. A poi add-on to TomTom made sure I found them easily. I'm tough enough not to be bothered by smelly farts!

However, I won't be doing it to my FL S8 as the fuel consumption is better and with a Revo map is better still.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 18th May 2011, 08:31 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I'm thinking seriously about LPG. I love the D2 and the S8 especially - so a D3 TDi isn't an option for me just now. I've been through the 'sensible' cars with diesel estates for the family 'cos we needed space and economy. Now I'm of an age where my car is a hobby and a real pleasure and, like Simon, older cars really ring my bell. But a 65mile round trip commute on crappy roads and a £500 a month fuel bill are begining to hurt.

Is there somewhere good north of thr border that you guys would recommend?
Old 18th May 2011, 08:50 PM

A8 LPG

1. You won't find LPG in every station
(AGREE Need to plan route) country wide u get a account card and can use pump 24/7 even if there shut for us in the country)

2. You still have to fill up petrol
( put £20 of Shell petrol in and i get a good month or so on it, with no problems)

3. It farts and stinks after a fill up
(Never had this problem of farts. Only stink i get is when u take filler off pump)

4. Some garages won't work on it
(Never had this prob but i know it happens)

5. If it does go wrong it will be pricey (LPG injectors, separate ECUs)*
(Only had odd thing go wrong and that was not fault of lpg more the install.)

6. It needs servicing
( i get mine serviced every 18months at the cost of £145. Thats from main importer for the UK, for my system. so they have everything in stock, as they supply the UK agents. Plus there fitter's train there UK agents.
Not far either, just outside Bath. They have it for a morning while i go around town.)

7. LPG gauges not accurate, you need to reset your mileage counter and go on that.
(Never had this prob either, i just got 4 green lights showing full. When it gets to 2 or 1 if you know where the staion is. After 1 the bar flashes to say its about to run out then it flicks over auto to petrol. No dramas)

Think Singh was just unlucky with his. Sure if he gave it another go, in the future, he might change his mind.

As for mpg in my 3.7 sport, i get 22.5. Daily running around @70p a ltr. Works out same if not better than i was spending on my passat tdi. Now tho i have smile as i drive.

I def did miss the LPG, when i hadto wait 2 weeks, to get car booked into fix fault. My fuel bill did go up alot.Fault was when the installer installed it, he didnt protect the cable from exhaust. So it melted and earthed out on it, tripping LPG out (installed before i got it)

http://www.greenfuel.org.uk/company
"Greenfuel the official UK importer of BRC LPG equipment."
Old 18th May 2011, 09:13 PM

1. See I couldn't be arsed to plan a route, the LPG locator app took me to three stations. One was shut, the other had been converted to a car showroom and the third '24 hour' one closed at 8.
2. £20.00 is barley enough to turn the petrol light off.
3. I need to man up on the fart smell
4. Believe me it happens, and I couldn't work out how to take the damn thing off to enable me to change a coil.
5. Still it's another thing to go wrong.
6. True, not really much of an issue just something to be made aware of.
7. Being slightly colour blind probably didn't help!

Part of the reason I was so disappointed was a local taxi driver has an A8 4.2 on LPG and reckoned it was more economical then his 1.9 TDI A6. So I was disappointed when I as Mike has said only got about 30 mpg finical equivalent. Which is what you get on a petrol D2 or D3 A8 4.2.

Also Ben told me he hated the stuff so there must be a reason...
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 18th May 2011, 09:31 PM

Conan.

What's a 'Revo map'?

Also. What's it cost, what's the best kit? Why is it a no-go on your FL S8 (cos that's what I'm smoking!)
Old 19th May 2011, 06:50 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wallwork View Post
Conan.

What's a 'Revo map'?

Also. What's it cost, what's the best kit? Why is it a no-go on your FL S8 (cos that's what I'm smoking!)
The Revo map is a software update to your ECU that changes (improves) the power and fuel economy mapping in your ECU.

Cost at the moment I'm not sure. They had a special offer last month; ask Revo_Ben.

LPG can be fitted to the FL S8, I'm just not going to do it as I recently retired and stopped my high mileage job; therefore it's going to take me a lot longer to recoup my outlay. My PF S8 only averaged 19mpg, but my FL S8 is just short of 23mpg atm. With the Revo Map I can expect 26-27mpg so it's just a matter of economics. If I were still doing my 25-30k per annum it would have gone straight on.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.