A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 10th November 2020, 10:11 PM

Default fuel float assembly

It's been awhile since I last posted about this issue that I'm having. I finished installing a new fuel pump a couple of months ago and I've been too busy/lazy to completely finishing what I've been doing. I took out the left side fuel float assembly because I bought a inexpensive handheld inspection camera so I can try and see if I got the right side fuel pump assembly installed correctly but I wasn't able to find exactly with the inspection to visually see the pump assembly. I feel like I have that part installed correctly.

Now for some reason I can not get the left side fuel float assembly in the correct orientation so I can get it pushed down flush with the access hole and screw on the lock ring. The picture below is some type of plastic bowl (sorry don't know the correct name of this) that seems to be causing my problem from pushing the float assembly all the way down so I can reinstall the lock ring.

There is no fuel in the tank as I have it all siphoned out.

Also I would like to know how important is it that I don't have the right side lock ring exactly in line with the reference dots that I made before I started disassembly? As you can see in the picture below the yellow dot that's on the lock ring at about the 2 o'clock position and the other yellow dot that's about the 3 o'clock position next to the hard fuel line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left fuel float 2.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	24458   Click image for larger version

Name:	fp assembly 6.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	24459  
Old 11th November 2020, 08:19 PM

Do you have the sender in the right orientation? The arrow on it points to the right hand side of the car (ie the other pump) which is counter-intuitive at a glance.

Did you replace the rubber ring at the top of the pump? If so I wouldn't worry about getting the cap back in the same place as long as its tight on the pump housing.
Old 12th November 2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Do you have the sender in the right orientation? The arrow on it points to the right hand side of the car (ie the other pump) which is counter-intuitive at a glance.

Did you replace the rubber ring at the top of the pump? If so I wouldn't worry about getting the cap back in the same place as long as its tight on the pump housing.
Yes I have the arrow pointing to the right hand side of the car. I have tried pushing it down but it seems to be snagged on something and I don't want to force it down as I'm afraid of breaking something.

Yes I replaced the large rubber ring with a new one. Ok.