A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th October 2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Looking good so far. Intrigued to see all the associated wiring for this setup when it's done.
Yeah me too!

The Kufatec loom consists of two separate harnesses;

Large

Red->MMI Control Unit
Green-> TV Tuner Quadlock
AMI->Rear Trinket Tray under armrest
White Bare Diagnostic->Bose Amplifier or Ignition Sense->Fuse Board (?)
White Ring Masse->Ground (really should have been Brown)
White Spade Dauerplus->Carrier F Fuse 3 10A Permanent Live
Black B->Monitor L
Black F->Monitor R
Quadlock->7F
Fakra Yellow->7F
Black->CAN Hi (TV?)
White->CAN Lo (TV?)

Small

Fakra Cream->7F
Fakra Grey->7F
Fakra Brown-7F
Fakra Green->5F
Fakra Black->Monitor L (unmarked so could be R?)
Fakra Black->Monitor R (also unmarked so could be L?)
Orange MOST Optical 2-pin 7F
Orange MOST Optical->TV(?)

I have laid them out on the garage floor so I can see the various connector types to give me a steer and most of it seems self explanatory but there are three connections above that I am unsure about that I have marked with a (?) above. These are;

Large Harness
1. Small diameter white wire. This is cut to match the length of the two larger white wires which go to the rear fusebox which leads me to believe this bare wire connection is made off there. This then could be an ignition sense wire so the 7F knows when the car is turned off and so starts its 10 minute countdown to shutdown with no activity similar to the 5F in the front. At first I thought it might be a diagnostic wire of some sort that ends up at the Bose Amplifier but after a rethink I think ignition sense might be the more likely of the two.

2. What looks to me suspiciously like CAN Hi (Black twisted pair) & CAN Lo (clear sheathed stranded wire) looks like it could go to the TV Tuner in the rear of the car where there might be a couple of empty connections in the Quadlock that might do the job? Failing that i guess they could be spliced into the existing CAN Pair at the same point? I guess I could pick up CAN from another point but again the cut length seems to indicate they might go to the TV Tuner.

Small Harness
3. The two single orange MOST cables again seem to be cut to reach the TV Tuner and I am guessing that one of the existing MOST cables is detached from the TV Tuner and plugged into the joining splice on the new harness and the other harness free end is then plugged back into the TV Tuner connector where the existing optical was just removed from.
I believe that if the MOST loop is connected the wrong way round then the whole MOST loop could be unresponsive but at this time do not know which wire is which. I really need to take some panels off and get the harness laid out in the car to hopefully understand a bit more.

I emailed Kufatec as it was them who made the harness but they were about as much help as a chocolate teapot and refused to send me a wiring diagram as I didn't purchase directly from them despite their name plastered all over the bag it came in and are the sole manufacturer of the harness AFAIK.

A couple of years ago I wanted to buy TPMS Hi from them when it was 699 (its now 734) and asked if they could send me the installation instructions so I could check to see whether it was within my capability to fit and what was involved but they again refused and said I had to buy the kit first.

Really helpful...maybe they should change their name to Fukutec!

Any clarification around the wiring would be very much appreciated.

Then after the wiring is complete I believe the procedure will be to;

Code Central Gateway to enable 7F (not sure of the procedure to do this)
Enable RSE menu from the Green Menu
Remove Component Protection (possible Audi dealer visit)
SVM/Check/update firmware on the 7F to match existing 5F (possible Audi dealer visit)
Apply any and all updates

Fingers crossed after all this it works...not that I will get to use it much as I'm always in the drivers seat

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image35.jpg
Views:	1473
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	27317   Click image for larger version

Name:	image36.jpg
Views:	1468
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	27318  

Last edited by GlynH; 17th October 2021 at 11:51 PM.