Must have cost a fortune

Looking very good and should imagine will be v.quick

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 19th September 2009, 01:24 PM
Siena

And more...

First outing...

Last edited by Siena; 19th September 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 19th September 2009, 01:38 PM
Siena

More in sepia...

Old 19th September 2009, 02:12 PM
Siena

Now, back to the serious business, the mechanical side, mostly her D2 heart, and 6-speed tranny.

I had measured extensively, and knew the 077 series V8 block would physically fit the B5 engine bay.

I had also seen some examples, one average one, an 079 series S4 motor, from a B6 / B7 S4 in a Canadian B5 A4, which with it's rear chain-driven camshafts, is slightly shorter than both 32 and 40V front belt-driven 077 series from D11, D2 and C5.

A Greek C5 RS6 motor stuffed into a B5 A4, which due to the route the owner took, added a lot of extra forward bias to the car. It utilised a thick adapter plate to mate the auto-only RS6 block to an 01E - it also involved lenghtening the hood, fenders and the bumper sides, as he also had extensions to move the front clip forwards. That was a no-no for me.

Then there was the white S4 that Audi used for R&D purposes in 1998, as a prelude to the B6 S4, which was already being planned, and it was announced it would be V8-powered, rather than the V6 biturbo in the B5. It was entrusted to Audi's then newly acquired subsidiary, Cosworth Technology (now known as Mahle Powertrain) to see what modifications would be required, to get the V8 to fit. It involved radically reworked front end, which I did NOT like - hood, headlamps, grille, bumper, front clip and lower fenders.

Mine had to look like it belonged there, else I wouldn't bother. I'm pleased to say it looks pretty good. Here are some pictures of the different approaches to V8 into B5:

Canadian B5 A4Q with 079 series V8 40V engine install, pairly neat and OEM, works well...

Greek B5 A4Q with C5 RS6 engine install - note how far forward the block is, and the extensions made to relocate the front clip. The hood, fenders and bumper sides will require serious surgery to match, giving the car an odd look...

Audi UK / Cosworth Technology B5 S4 with 077 series V8 40V install - note the modified front end...

And my version. Only cutting mine required was the fibreglass fron clip / radiator frame. All metal work is unmolested, and the car still looks stock with the hood closed...

Old 19th September 2009, 03:08 PM
Siena

Fitting a V8 to a B5 isn't all plain sailing though, nor is converting it to manual, as I found out. Converting to manual is easy for me now though!

D11 / D2 32V Gen. 1 single mass flywheel trial fitted to D2 32V:

TDC sensor location on 01E - tranny temporarily bolted to D2 V8 block:

I'd later decided to go with an aftermarket stand alone ECU, as I intend to supercharge the engine. The OEM Bosch Motronic would not be flexible enough, I went with VEMS.

Here is the stock harness removed - modified to plug into VEMS, and the automatic connector was removed in the process, though not neccessary, even if running stock ABZ / AHC on 01E and stock ECU:

B5 RS4 propshaft to mate the 01E to rear differential:

D11 / D2 32V Gen.1 single-mass flywheel, and B5 RS4 clutch:

VEMS / AHC harness, with auto box delete, and VEMS ECU connectors:

VEMS ECU:

Custom billet aluminium gear knob:

Old 19th September 2009, 03:14 PM
Siena

Some things can be approached full-on, with little research - as long as you trust your instincts, and know your ideas will work.

Some things however, require a different approach, and a degree of R&D. I bought an R&D car, in the shape of a 1996 A4 B5 1,8 20V.

Drives well enough, for the princely sum of £275, including collection fees.

I stripped the motor and manual tranny out over the weekend, and as a test bed for my S8 motor and 6-speed tranny, she's ideal.

Besides trial fitting, it gives me the opportunity to get custom engine mounts made.

I'll also be getting the engine running in the test car too, and map out any bugs while I'm at it. Updates via the usual pictures will follow sometime next week.
Old 19th September 2009, 03:35 PM
Siena

And yep, V8 into B5 does go, even with the secondary firewall in place. I did have to trim the fan cowlings from the front of the lock carrier / front clip, so fans will be pusher units mounted on the grille side.

I used a nearside engine mount platform / ARB bracket of a C5 A6 V8 40V:

I also bought a nearside engine bracket, for the C5 A6 V8 40V;

Didn't fit the 32V block!

And a D2 / C5 V8 front engine support:

Didn't work with the B5 frame rail.

So, I knew the approach would be purely custom. No sweat - I did say the Blue B5 was purely an R&D excercise, right?

Nearside C5 mount, showing ill fit - only 2 out of 3 bolt holes and profiles lined up:

Front D2 / C5 V8 front engine support. Big gap between bracket and B5 frame rail:

I had to pull the motor out again, to shave the fins on the much deeper D2 upper oil pan, as they fouled the subframe:

Now it all sits level:

Old 19th September 2009, 03:46 PM
Siena

Once the engine was sitting nice and level, it was time to make the engine bracket mock-ups. I ised 12mm thick MDF, though the final products would be 10mm thick. Plenty enough for the S8's torque.

Nearside S8 engine bracket mock-up:

Front S8 engine support mock-up:

As I mentioned previously, my D11 / D2 32V Gen.1 flywheels were made to have an insert pressed into the centre, to accept an OEM spigot bearing. My Gen.2 versions have an integral boss to accept the same spigot bearing.

D11 / D2 32V Gen.2 single-mass flywheels, weight 7,2kgs: