A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 1st September 2023, 01:28 PM

Default Removing the boot light with the lock in it

some lovely Frenchie left me with a cracked light after driving into me in a car park last year. Typically buggered off without so much as a note.

I have the replacement unit and can see its held on by 4 screws.

Alas as its the one with the lock, you've guessed it the lock and the bodywork it mounts to obscures the final mounting bolt.

Anyone have any tips how to get this out?
Old 1st September 2023, 04:52 PM
Banned

you mean screw hole behind the sound deadening? pictures would help.

I replaced all my tail lights the other day and it took an hour start to finish, i can't remember any unreachable places.
Old 2nd September 2023, 09:25 AM

I can't visualise what you're stuck on either. I don't recall any inaccessible fasteners, but then its almost muscle memory now. A pic or two would help

The light comes out independent of the lock iirc, but the lock itself can be removed inward while the light comes outward. If you do remove the lock pay attention to the two washers between it and the sheet metal - these are needed to make it flush with the tail light.
Old 2nd September 2023, 12:01 PM

I was removing some stuff from the boot this morning, so took a quick photo (with the lining still in place). Awkward to get a decent photo, so had to enhance one corner as it was too dark.

I'm circled the one Mark is having problems with. Just wondering if you're trying to undo the bolt with the boot lid liner in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BootLightAndLock.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	965.3 KB
ID:	29958  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 2nd September 2023, 03:51 PM

thanks Steamship,

yes thats the bolt and yes the liner is still in place,
can I take it from that, with the liner removed its real easy to get to?
Old 2nd September 2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markiii View Post
can I take it from that, with the liner removed its real easy to get to?
A lot easier. Remove the pull handle, the warning triangle holder and the 'hairy' screws (and don't misplace them as an ordinary replacement will look out of place).

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds