A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items

For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items For the personal sale of Vw/Audi parts, tools, vouchers, accessories, anything that isn't an actual car. Absolutely no commercial listings or breaking / bulk / repeated sale of parts or services.

Old 20th November 2019, 02:17 PM

Default wanted - old used A8 D3 front pad sensor plug (part of old pad)

Hi
I've a faulty wear sensor on the drivers side pad and want to fit a temporary shorting plug (the pads have oodles of wear left). I've proved its the pad sensor by shorting out the female plug pins, which successfully clears the fault.

I'd like to get rid of the erroneous warning, but only until my pads eventually get replaced, so want to do a neat job by obtaining a used male plug (the one that comes with the pads) so that i can make a 'shorting' plug. This way, it brings my other nearside sensor back into play to monitor wear (as well as visual checks of course)

So, TLDR version is, has anyone got an old plug I can have please? More than happy to pay.

Thanks Pat
Audi A8 D3 3.0 2006
Wakefield, Yorks
Old 20th November 2019, 03:27 PM

So is it just a wear sensor that you need?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEAR-SENS...53.m1438.l2649

2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 20th November 2019, 03:50 PM

Smile

Ah!, obviously showing my ignorance there then, for some reason I thought the wear sensor was part of the actual pad (I haven't had the pad out as I believe you need a diagnostic tool to retract the caliper? (or am I talking bollaux).

Thank you for that.

(If I can remove the pad and fit this item without a diagnostic tool e.g. vag thingy, - pls tell me and I'll fit it correctly. Otherwise I'll just cannibilise the plug and revert to my original plan)

Thanks for the quick response.

Pat (newbie )
Old 20th November 2019, 04:01 PM

You don't need the computer for front pads - only the rears. You don't need to cannibalise that wear sensor anyway - it's already shorted together at the end which goes in the pad. You could just plug it in without touching the pads if you really wanted to
Old 20th November 2019, 04:05 PM

Fair point.

Thanks to you both for your quick responses. I'll get one ordered.

(Whilst a relative newbie on here and A8 jobs, I did replace the adaptive suspension pump yesterday, so not a complete newbie - and that was an 'interesting' job!)

Thanks again

Pat
Old 20th November 2019, 06:52 PM

Just check that the part number is correct - I posted one that was in my watch list for my S8, just make sure it's correct for your A8.

As MJ said, you can actually change them in situ and no diagnostic tool is required for the fronts.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 20th November 2019, 07:28 PM

Thanks again, just checked that item against my car and it's saying it should be Ok (was a bit confused because I couldn't remember seeing the branch to the second sensor on mine (the wishbone bit), I assume it will all make sense once I get in there.

I'll have a play when it comes.

Thank you

Pat
Old 20th November 2019, 10:33 PM

The sensor is integrated onto the pads for the A8, the sensor linked above won't work. To get the light off all you need to do is cut the sensor wire at the pad, bare the wires back, twist them together, cover with insulating tape and tie up out of the way. (do not unplug the sensor plug, leave it plugged in)

The cause of the sensor tripping before the pads are worn is caused by worn discs, there will be a large wear lip round the inner and outer edges of the disc, the inner one will have cut into the sensor.

I'm sorry to say it's time for new discs and pads

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 20th November 2019, 11:15 PM

Thank you.

Keep your eyes peeled - there will be a sensor wire on ebay in the next week.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47p2 View Post
The sensor is integrated onto the pads for the A8,
Mine aren't integrated but it may e the case for different models