A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 24th September 2013, 09:27 PM

Default Door mirror dip for reverse.

I have not had the car very long but there is a few things about it that really rub me up the wrong way and the mirror dip is one of them.

When I select reverse and the mirror is allowed to auto dip via switch being in passenger mirror postion, the mirror looks so far down that I can't see and have to adjust it back up.

Is there a way to set and store where I need it to be.

Seriously its like the car thinks I am 3 ft tall

Del
Old 24th September 2013, 09:42 PM

Yes, it annoys me too, dips too far. I often don't use it as it's not effective.

I guess if you have a spare seat memory position you could set that to be exactly the same as your normal setting, but with the passenger mirror in the position you like for reversing. Then just press the corresponding button in the drivers door.

Hadn't thought of that before, might try it.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 24th September 2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Yes, it annoys me too, dips too far. I often don't use it as it's not effective.

I guess if you have a spare seat memory position you could set that to be exactly the same as your normal setting, but with the passenger mirror in the position you like for reversing. Then just press the corresponding button in the drivers door.

Hadn't thought of that before, might try it.
Not a bad idea but don't know how to implement it on my car as its that fingerprint thing thats iffy at the best of times.
Old 25th September 2013, 06:28 AM

I use it all the time and think it's great for getting close to the kerb without grinding an alloy.

Edit: Sorry just realised this is D3 so i'll shut up as i don't know i've never driven one

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 25th September 2013, 07:16 AM

Me too Dezzy. I was about to reply in the same manner. However, I think that the principle is still the same - it is intended to allow you to see the kerb and park without hitting the kerb. If you want it to stay in "normal" position in the D2 ,you just make sure the mirror control switch is centralised.
Old 25th September 2013, 07:39 AM

It would be nice if you could vary the stored position for dipped use. Easy enough you'd think to set it up to store when in reverse and position set, then hit memory store but I've tried enough items to be sure you can't

Did help when my mirror glass fell out and the new one was properly installed as the old mirror dipped far more as it wasn't properly restrained!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 25th September 2013, 08:44 AM

My D3s have all been pretty decent for that, but I just use them to check against the white line or kerb, so dipped low is fine for me

I know.. I know..

Old 25th September 2013, 09:16 AM

It does dipp when in reverse but I find it's to far, almost looking at floor near the pillar between doors, I like to look near the rear wheel kerb area.

Not convinced the mirror unit is working a 100% as it sometimes looks like it was sticking and jumps when moving it
Old 25th September 2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisuk View Post
It does dipp when in reverse but I find it's to far, almost looking at floor near the pillar between doors, I like to look near the rear wheel kerb area.

Not convinced the mirror unit is working a 100% as it sometimes looks like it was sticking and jumps when moving it
Ahh, you didnt mention just how far it dipped. Mine shows the rear wheel and kerb - which is perfect. I would agree that the area around the B pillar isnt as helpful. It also moves smoothly so i think that your first action is to look at the mount.
Old 25th September 2013, 07:33 PM

I'm sure mine dips to whatever position it was dipped to last, so if I lift it a little it will go down to that angle next time.
****No it doesn't goes back to the same place every time****

Last edited by snapdragon; 27th June 2014 at 05:09 PM.