A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 8th July 2014, 09:19 PM

Default Window Tints

Hi guys,

A couple of weeks ago I went to a relatively reputable window tinter to have the rear windows tinted. The couple of cars I've owned have had privacy glass, and I like the look. Before even doing the job, the tint chap informed me the S8/A8 to be one of his top 3 most difficult cars to tint. Apparently the issue is the rear passenger windows, because he cannot remove the door cards and has a rubber strip to contend with. Anyway I asked him to give it a go, after much time they were on and the car looked awesome. But on closer inspection the rear passenger tints were not perfectly aligned at the bottom edges, this bothered me. After a a couple of days I removed the tints but left them on the rear window (which was fine).

Does anyone have experience of this? Is there a technique to do this or a tint place who could handle this in the Midlands area?

Cheers
Old 9th July 2014, 06:48 AM
Banned

Hes lying .... the door cards are a breeze to take off and the rubber seal also is straight forward .

I had the W12 all tinted and it looks amazing also the 4.2 never had a problem with it.

I think you need to change tinters
Old 9th July 2014, 06:55 AM
Banned

[UMuchntp://s866.photobucket.com/user/daviesbike/media/20130214_145603_zpsad512811.jpg.html][/url]

Much
n
Old 9th July 2014, 06:56 AM
Banned

Much nicer afterwards. I also drilled some holes and fitted some audi projector lamps while I cad the door cards off so when you open the door thats the logo you get
Old 9th July 2014, 07:43 AM

The place that did mine didn't report any problems and it was only a man on his driveway.
Old 9th July 2014, 08:11 AM

A guy came to mine and did mine on my driveway too. Took him 4 hours but I was very pleased with the end result. And he had no trouble at all removing the door cards, various trim pieces and rear headrests to gain as much access to the bottom of the windows as possible.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 9th July 2014, 11:00 AM

Guys, you are a fountain of knowledge.

Absolutely me thinks a new tint guy is required. Mine is a black car so it looks fabulous with the rear tints, and I was so disappointed when told it was never going to be perfect due to the door cards. Having said that I'd rather go without them than have a sub standard job.

Thanks again chaps - If you have anyone (mobile or otherwise) who can serve the midlands (Brum) then please let me know.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
Much nicer afterwards. I also drilled some holes and fitted some audi projector lamps while I cad the door cards off so when you open the door thats the logo you get
I also have those but I bought the ones that replace existing lights so no drilling required. Like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Audi-Ca...item27daebea62

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 9th July 2014, 02:02 PM
Banned

Just ordered 4 thanks for that link !! Did not realise you could get oem style fitting ones
Old 8th September 2014, 03:23 PM

Quick Update.

So the rear door tints were removed and windows thoroughly cleaned. I followed the guide and removed the rear door cards - absolute breeze - Although I'd bought some spare clips in advance, which was a very handy tip as some will break or distort. I then researched reputable tinters in the Birmingham area - I got a recommendation having searched Piston Heads (Dynamic tints) I called them and got the tints done today. Absolutely brilliant, fabulous professional job and well priced too. They actually removed the windows to do them.

Really pleased. Worth a mention here for good job and service.

Cheers