A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 31st March 2015, 09:01 AM

Does it keep running if you keep your foot on the gas a little?

I know.. I know..

Old 31st March 2015, 09:02 AM

Will try that next.
Old 31st March 2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Does it keep running if you keep your foot on the gas a little?
Nope. the accelarator has no affect whatsoever now. It did originally first thing this morning even when running rough. But every time its starts now its just running at 3-400rpm and the pedal does nothing.
Old 31st March 2015, 09:36 AM

It could be a coil pack failure/damp - one going down on our A6 V6 was enough to make it run like a dog!

It's also possible it's flooded the engine through attempts to start and the plugs need a clean before trying again?

If it won't run at all to scan with VCDS and log misfires then checking the coil packs (think you can measure the resistence?) and plugs would be a sensible option. If they're wet then leaving them out for the fuel to evaporate might help

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 31st March 2015, 09:45 AM

Could it just be the fuel gone 'off' - maybe try a shot of fuel additive with some fresh fuel?
Old 31st March 2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
It could be a coil pack failure/damp - one going down on our A6 V6 was enough to make it run like a dog!

It's also possible it's flooded the engine through attempts to start and the plugs need a clean before trying again?

If it won't run at all to scan with VCDS and log misfires then checking the coil packs (think you can measure the resistence?) and plugs would be a sensible option. If they're wet then leaving them out for the fuel to evaporate might help
Coil pack was one area i was thinking of too. Its certainly been damp, so I gather! The scan showed multiple misfires. I am just going down to my indy to talk things/options over with him.
Old 31st March 2015, 11:04 AM

What's the voltage accross the battery when the car is running?
If its well below 14V the alternator is not charging the battery properly.
If voltage carries on dropping with the car running, then the alternator is not working properly and you are just running on battery power for a few minutes until its drained.

A battery left for a month run down to zero capacity is probably badly sulphated and may not be able to recover much of its original capacity even when 'fully charged'.

When my battery was on its way out I had similar warnings and error codes all over the place, ABS, Transmission, etc. It was so sulphated it charged up to apparently full in 1 hour (for a 95Ah battery), and promptly quickly died again standing for just a day.

Last edited by Goran; 31st March 2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 31st March 2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
What's the voltage accross the battery when the car is running?
If its well below 14V the alternator is not charging the battery properly.
If voltage carries on dropping with the car running, then the alternator is not working properly and you are just running on battery power for a few minutes until its drained.

A battery left for a month run down to zero capacity is probably badly sulphated and may not be able to recover much of its original capacity even when 'fully charged'.

When my battery was on its way out I had similar warnings and error codes all over the place, ABS, Transmission, etc. It was so sulphated it charged up to apparently full in 1 hour (for a 95Ah battery), and promptly quickly died again standing for just a day.
The engine wont even fire up now to check that out. (The battery cranks it over well but it aint starting). Discussion with my friendly indy suggests a sensor and the multi misfire fault code (11684 P0300-35-00) has camshaft sensor (G40) as one of several potential causes. (Others are coils, injectors, plugs,fuel supply,EGR). mmmm, where next to go???
Old 31st March 2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
mmmm, where next to go???
Pub!

I know.. I know..

Old 31st March 2015, 11:52 AM

Hmm, yes, if the battery still cranks the engine at normal speed then it must be ok.
Clutching at straws here, is the starter on the same junction box from the battery as the rest of the electrics? Just in case it is something easy like a corroded junction box.