A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 11th February 2018, 12:09 AM

Default Pecuariam felis

I've been trying to work out MJs signature for a while...
"Pecuariam felis"

Now, I've never learned any Latin (or any foreign language actually - not important for the edumacators of my schooling days! Though I have since taught myself some very very very very very basic German and Swedish - enough to know that our sentence structure is unecessarily bulky and back to front!), so had to take an electronic age approach - I used Google Translate!

So that results in "cat herding".
That didn't make a lot of sense...

So I try a couple of (non Google) Latin translators and I get a couple of different answers, such as "animal husbandry" and "work position" - ah! Now we're getting somewhere...

A general Google search suggests "pecuaria felis" instead - "agriculture recipes", hmm... No.

Maybe individual translations will provide some insight:
"Pecuariam" - "herding", we're back to that again!
"felis" - "football", hmm this isn't getting us anywhere!!
"Felis" is "cat", or at least it should be, so why has Google given me "football"??

The best I can find is that "pecuariam" is the feminine of "pecuarius" meaning "of cattle or sheep", but it's still not getting me anywhere!

I'm reading a bit far into this for an exercise in curiosity, and I'm on the verge of signing up for a Latin course!

I want it to mean "workaholic", or "feminine carriage builder" or something, but it's looking a lot like it means "cat lady"!

So please Michaela, satisfy my curiosity!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 11th February 2018, 12:26 AM

It is indeed herding cats An idiom implying futility.
Old 11th February 2018, 12:57 AM

And there was me thinking you were a cat lover.
We had 17 at one point. SWMBO is a soft touch with all kinds of animals, but I have no room to talk.
Friends of ours run a web page "siliconhell.com", worth a look if you are into cats.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 11th February 2018, 09:44 AM

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170...s-to-evolution
Old 11th February 2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
And there was me thinking you were a cat lover.
We had 17 at one point. SWMBO is a soft touch with all kinds of animals, but I have no room to talk.
Friends of ours run a web page "siliconhell.com", worth a look if you are into cats.
17?

I have two maine coons:

Gizmo

and Lisbeth

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20161224_004.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	17913   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20161224_005.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	17914   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151024_005.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	17915  

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 11th February 2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11th February 2018, 10:42 AM

I guess there's an Australian version of the "herding cats" saying which plays on the fact that getting a group of invidualistic people/animals to get going in the same/right direction can be, as MJ says, a futile task. Herding possums?
Old 11th February 2018, 11:05 AM

Wow! This an interesting read, Marty. And I love how you explained about the feminine form of the word. Excellent analysis, all in all
And the word felis, so that's where the English word feline originates. Cool!
I studied a few languages myself, and love Syntax.

As a kid I had to learn both the Norwegian languages, bokmål and nynorsk. And I got a good grade in both, even if I hated nynorsk. My feelings toward nynorsk would probably have been different, if we had been told the historical background. Both were developed around 1850s. Bokmål means the written language, and since Norway used Danish in official context, bokmål has only a very slight difference to the Danish language (when it is written).
Nynorsk means the New Norwegian language, and is a collection of words used by the natives themselves in different parts of Norway. Hence, nobody speaks "proper" nynorsk. But some variation of it, called dialects. So really just a construct and an attempt to have a distinct Norwegian language.
The further west, or north you get from Oslo, nynorsk dialects are the norm.

I struggled as a kid with English, but that all changed when I started to read books written in English as an adult. As basically all the books I have read as an adult were written in English, so that is the language I have the best vocabulary in. And I read non-fictional books, only rarely fictional.

I moved to Sweden and went to school again as an adult. Among other topics I chose to study languages, as that is something that I love to learn.
I studied German and can read pretty well, I can write and speak some.
I also studied English at that time, but my teachers sometimes struggled with me. As they at times believed I was in error, but upon checking found that I was indeed correct.
So they asked me to dial it back a level, as not to intimidate my fellow class mates.
I studied Russian as well, but learned only a little. I can hardly understand anything as my vocabulary is so weak.
This was back in 93-95. And of course, I had to translate everything to Swedish along with learning the new languages.

At the University I chose to study old greek, or koine greek. Along with my religious studies. My greek is pretty weak, pretty similar level to my Russian.
But I sometimes entertain myself trying to read Russian or Greek words to see if I can understand them

What I really learned by all my studies, is what my teacher in German and Russian taught me. As he was in fact a translator, he had a very different approach than any other language teacher I have met.
He focused on syntax. He explained to us that when we learned the the syntax of a language properly, we could move on and start adding to our vocabulary. But it didn't make much sense to him to have us try making conversation.
Best teacher I ever had

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98

Last edited by Regulus; 11th February 2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12th February 2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
I guess there's an Australian version of the "herding cats"... Herding possums?
Nah,
Herding Kangaroos! Damn things won't go backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
On the subject of languages, I remember quite fondly when I visited Sweden, just how easy it was to communicate with the locals.
So a question was posted to my Swedish friend: "why do the Swedish speak such good English?"
His answer was an exercise in understatement:
"Well, there's only 8 million people in the world who speak Swedish"!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 12th February 2018, 04:16 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I'm in awe of people who can speak multiple languages. Apart from English, the only languages I'm fluent in are programming languages.

I did study Latin and French at school for a couple of years but dropped them in favour of the sciences. I do remember some of the Latin I learned (which is a great language to learn if you want to better understand the origins of many modern languages), but I remember little of the French I learned. Our school was one of the first to use audio tapes and headsets as language teaching aids. Ironically, just about the only French phrase I remember from those tapes is "écoute et répète" ("listen and repeat").

Speaking of Swedish (Regulus), something I've often wondered ...

Those silly IKEA product names ... You know, the ones that often sound like something related in English. Are they completely made up (for comic effect) or do they actually mean something in Swedish?

For example:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraepst...vWw#.qxyPzn7A3
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 12th February 2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12th February 2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
I've been trying to work out MJs signature for a while...
"Pecuariam felis"

Now, I've never learned any Latin (or any foreign language actually - not important for the edumacators of my schooling days! Though I have since taught myself some very very very very very basic German and Swedish - enough to know that our sentence structure is unecessarily bulky and back to front!), so had to take an electronic age approach - I used Google Translate!

So that results in "cat herding".
That didn't make a lot of sense...

So I try a couple of (non Google) Latin translators and I get a couple of different answers, such as "animal husbandry" and "work position" - ah! Now we're getting somewhere...

A general Google search suggests "pecuaria felis" instead - "agriculture recipes", hmm... No.

Maybe individual translations will provide some insight:
"Pecuariam" - "herding", we're back to that again!
"felis" - "football", hmm this isn't getting us anywhere!!
"Felis" is "cat", or at least it should be, so why has Google given me "football"??

The best I can find is that "pecuariam" is the feminine of "pecuarius" meaning "of cattle or sheep", but it's still not getting me anywhere!

I'm reading a bit far into this for an exercise in curiosity, and I'm on the verge of signing up for a Latin course!

I want it to mean "workaholic", or "feminine carriage builder" or something, but it's looking a lot like it means "cat lady"!

So please Michaela, satisfy my curiosity!
I had the same curiosity as you Marty but my Google searching coughed up nothing.

So I asked MJ for the answer in private so as not to embarrass myself by
1. Not knowing what it meant (I gave up Latin in secondary school like Mark did)
AND
2. Not knowing how to Google an answer correctly in the current age.

I guess that you have a few people a favour by raising this subject

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Last edited by Spanker; 12th February 2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: .