A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 10th November 2018, 07:17 PM

Default Brake disc & pad replacement?

When the time comes to to replace the discs & pads (which it usually does with regular monotony it would seem) is there any advantage other than price of using aftermarket parts such as EBC etc?

I am usually an Audi man through & through but am considering a shift to quality 3rd party parts.

A friend of mine replaced his discs on his S8 with 3rd party replacements that were drilled, grooved and had what appeared like anodised aluminium hubs(?) that not only looked the part but should withstand corrosion as the look of rusty disc hubs (and callipers) is something I am becoming more & more intolerant of!

Which brings me neatly onto another question...can anyone recommend what I might do with the callipers with regard to polishing, painting, powder-coating etc. and maybe recommend a quality company to carry out the work?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Old 10th November 2018, 11:03 PM

One of the many claimed benefits by EBC is less brake dust compared to OEM. I am running genuine Audi pads/discs on my 3.0TDI D4 and they are very dusty.
I'd be tempted to give EBC a go in the hope they really reduce brake dust.
They are unlikely to be an more expensive than OEM given the crazy prices Audi charge for Discs & Pads.
Old 11th November 2018, 11:00 PM

Do Textar list an e-pad for it? They claim higher performance and lower dust than OE.

I've had very poor results from EBC. Red stuff are pretty horrid from cold and barely up to the job when hot (I set my last ones on fire). Yellow stuff might work better, but tear the discs badly so you'd have to change discs and pads together every time, which gets pretty expensive.
Old 12th November 2018, 08:12 AM

The only alternatives that I could find in the past were ATE, Brembo and Bosch branded parts. ATE & Brembo would be decent quality in my experience, I never came across Bosch branded brake parts before.
Old 14th November 2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Do Textar list an e-pad for it? They claim higher performance and lower dust than OE.

I've had very poor results from EBC. Red stuff are pretty horrid from cold and barely up to the job when hot (I set my last ones on fire). Yellow stuff might work better, but tear the discs badly so you'd have to change discs and pads together every time, which gets pretty expensive.
I'd agree - EBC red is simply awful apart from solely track use and the yellow is too agressive for normal usage

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 30th December 2018, 06:29 PM

What about EBC Ultimax 2.0? They are zero metal and rated GG. 90+% of pads on the market are rated FF or lower.
I personally think EBC ultimax and reds are fine these days but were ropey in various ways years ago. I run reds at the moment they are conversly only rated FF but do make a lot less dust, I only wouldn't buy them again as they are not worth £200 for the whole car compared to £100 I usually pay.

Last edited by snapdragon; 5th January 2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 24th January 2019, 03:39 PM

At my service in August I was advised front discs were corroded on my 2010 4.2tdi and now pads warning has just come up.
Reading back I see the discs are a specific design. I can get them changed fixed price at Audi for £600 is it a lot cheaper at Indies does anyone know. I've phoned and emailed the guys at Audi VWS in Harrow but guess they are very busy ATM and I don't use any other Indie.
Old 24th January 2019, 05:10 PM

I think fixed price is probably cheaper than the parts, aftermarket choices were non-existent when I last checked.

Worth getting a comparative quote, as I’ve been out of the D4 game for a little while now
Old 25th January 2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
I think fixed price is probably cheaper than the parts, aftermarket choices were non-existent when I last checked.

Worth getting a comparative quote, as I’ve been out of the D4 game for a little while now
Thanks Paul. Yes the fixed price appears to be £525 for front pads and discs, I've had a quote from the guys at Harrow now and it's significantly more expensive with them. I'd best get it booked in at local Main Dealer
Old 25th January 2019, 05:28 PM

They will also fit wiper blades for less than the parts counter will supply them