A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 26th December 2015, 04:49 PM

Default Aux Heater Fault

Just done a first for me VCDS scan and then cleared all codes and re-scanned. Had 2 sticky faults. One is a parking sensor that I knew about that I will get replaced. The other fault was Aux Heating. I'm assuming this is the Webasto for pre-heating the engine in the cold. Here is the VCDS scan fault:
Address 18: Aux. Heat Labels: None
Part No SW: 4E0 910 105 A HW: 4E0 815 069 H
Component: Heizgeraet H08 0160
Revision: 0000000D Serial number: 00000009013887
Coding: 0000001
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
VCID: 1A3B8C2BD50D7DEE85-804E

1 Fault Found:
01406 - No Flame
000 - -

Any ideas what this is or how to clear it?

Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 08:18 PM

Done a couple of the Webasto style aux heaters on Range Rover sports , they flag a code similar ' no flame seen ' or some such , on them it's been the glow plug in the burner chamber , strip down of the unit to get at them ,on the range rovers they are really easy to access , on the Audi you may know they are behind the bumper and still a bit more to get it all out after bumper off .

There is a few tests on vcds with regards to activations maybe worth trying them , the glow plug can get fouled with old diesel if it's not run for a long time ..... worth a try before stripping out

Lee
Old 26th December 2015, 08:28 PM

You could try an adaptation - maybe it is a 'sticky' code for safety reasons?

Unlock heater module by saving a 1 in Adaptation Channel 007, then clear fault codes.

I can't remember but you may need to go in Security first and enter a log in code, but VCDS should popup with a speech bubble with the code in it.
Old 27th December 2015, 10:42 AM

Thanks guys. That's interesting. I'm a VCDS amateur (only bought it the other week and tried it for first time yesterday) so I may be back with some more questions if I can't figure things out. I thought it a bit odd that there was no other info such as dates etc with this fault.
Old 27th December 2015, 12:19 PM

Yea as above the units will lock themselves out for safety reasons, the BMW's would need the fuse pulling to reset the unit so you could then reset the codes.

Just found this, your heater is a thermo top z usually

http://www.seatronic.no/pdf/Webasto/...P-Z_Manual.pdf
Old 27th December 2015, 01:14 PM

Just tried the adaptation and no joy. Just faults again with the same thing. Is it odd that there is no further data with the fault other than the description "01406 No Flame"?

I may try and pull the fuse and see what happens. As far as I know it always seems to have worked in the past (engine heated up quick and exhaust smoke at front of car), but we haven't really had any temps below 5 to try it this year. I'm wondering if there is a plug off or a connector loose. Where is this thing situated on a 4.2TDI ? I had a dealer do work on the front of the car 2 years ago when I hit a fox. Maybe it hasn't worked since then.

The VCDS test seemed to be limited to some kind of combustion chamber fan test. I didn't try that. Maybe I will after I check the fuse.

Thanks for the links and hints. I wonder if there is any way of performing a functional test on it via VCDS or the menu systems just to get it on and heated up and running. That might clear any faults or at least tell me if it's dead or not.
Old 27th December 2015, 02:02 PM

You should be able to do a function test but it needs to be done on a cold engine, it should be located the same place as all a8 tbh, have a look underneath, you should see an orange ring with a metal tube poking out ever so slightly at the front of drivers front wheel iirc.
Old 27th December 2015, 07:30 PM

Hello Lee some thoughts , the fact that you can communicate with the aux heater I would say it is powered up as the self diagnostic function comes from the aux heater unit itself .

The unit like already said is beneath the drivers side head light behind the front bumper , it's a bumper off job to get anywhere near it and it's still awkward to access the wiring with bumper off , when I bought my 4.2 tdi fitting the aux heater extra water pump was one of my first jobs I did on it , there's a superb thread on the subject called 'definitive guide to aux heater mod ' or something like that , it has all pictures and write up , it's done on a newish looking car , try the same job with 10 years of corrosion on the bolts !!

Run through the output tests with vcds and listen carefully near the headlight , is there and output test for ' diesel supply pump or maybe dosing pump ' for that one sit in the car and listen , it's a very faint ..... technical term ....kerchug , kerchug sound . Is there an output test for glow plug ??

My aux heater works fine but I have always had this code since the coding , as you can see there is no date and time stamp , perhaps the aux heater does not support it.
Old 27th December 2015, 08:34 PM

Thanks Lee. I will deffo do the test in the morning when its all cooled down. I found this too..

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01406

....a Ross-Tech wiki page on the actual fault. Looks like a fuel supply issue. I'm wondering if it's just because it hasn't been started in what could be months and months.
Old 27th December 2015, 10:08 PM

Yes , do all the tests and listen out for the dosing pump , is your car enabled to run the aux heater from the set up menu on the climate panel