A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 30th September 2016, 05:18 PM

Old 30th September 2016, 09:16 PM

Strange why has that happened , has a swirl flap fell in there , is that the head of the valve in the second round port along the head .

Not quite grasping them ports , looks like you can see valve in the round port but in the first round port it looks like casting , you normally have one shape port for direct air and another shape port for the swirl effect .

Rare to see a snapped valve , has something been sucked in from when it had a service ......something strange going here ??
Old 1st October 2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcanico Lee View Post
Strange why has that happened , has a swirl flap fell in there , is that the head of the valve in the second round port along the head .

Not quite grasping them ports , looks like you can see valve in the round port but in the first round port it looks like casting , you normally have one shape port for direct air and another shape port for the swirl effect .

Rare to see a snapped valve , has something been sucked in from when it had a service ......something strange going here ??
No, swirl flaps are OK.

There is a main inlet and then 'aux' inlet where the swirl flaps are. So call it 2 ports per cylinder, one rectangular and one round (that's my understanding).

There should be 2 valves per cylinder (inlet). Its raining now but when it stops Ill take more pics with a light shone into the cylinders.

Even a 'bad' service is unlikely to have caused this me thinks. Not sure how you could this by doing oil / air filter. That said, it could be.

I spoke to the guys that did previous work on the car (DPF) and he also indicates that it is very strange but his only view is metal fatigue due to mileage (192K) but says its unusual too.
Old 1st October 2016, 11:16 AM

Unhappy

Over the years ive seen loads of bits sucked into engines ....jubilee clips , heads off screws , small sockets ,turbo impeller nuts , snap on screw driver bits , all left in the inlet tracs .......destroys engines for sure .

Metal fatigue ........ yes it happens .....on a relatively cool valve ......i dont buy it .
Something could of been left in there from the service and air filters ......or maybe not .

The dpf ?? what full deletion ? has it had egr blanked off or any other work done on inlet tract , inlet butterflys ......egrs replaced ?? any work done near inter coolers , something has caused this .......its not just happened .

Ive seen heads snapped off valves when something has got stuck under the valve and seat , piston comes up and gives the valve a clonk and because object is stuck under one side the valve head gets knocked side ways .

Very often what ever has gone through the piston and exits the exhaust normally strikes the turbo exhaust impeller aswell ....... seen tips off glow plugs doing this after passing through the engine ......takes a blade off or two .....makes the turbo do the 'cyclone ' sound .

yes take some more photos of the ports if you could , looks like your in for a big rebuild bill sadly
Old 1st October 2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Over the years ive seen loads of bits sucked into engines ....jubilee clips , heads off screws , small sockets ,turbo impeller nuts , snap on screw driver bits , all left in the inlet tracs .......destroys engines for sure .

Metal fatigue ........ yes it happens .....on a relatively cool valve ......i dont buy it .
Something could of been left in there from the service and air filters ......or maybe not .

The dpf ?? what full deletion ? has it had egr blanked off or any other work done on inlet tract , inlet butterflys ......egrs replaced ?? any work done near inter coolers , something has caused this .......its not just happened .

Ive seen heads snapped off valves when something has got stuck under the valve and seat , piston comes up and gives the valve a clonk and because object is stuck under one side the valve head gets knocked side ways .

Very often what ever has gone through the piston and exits the exhaust normally strikes the turbo exhaust impeller aswell ....... seen tips off glow plugs doing this after passing through the engine ......takes a blade off or two .....makes the turbo do the 'cyclone ' sound .

yes take some more photos of the ports if you could , looks like your in for a big rebuild bill sadly
I agree, its odd.

The DPF work was only a DPF 'delete' and mild remap.

No other work was done. Ive done around 10K miles since that was done anyways.

Ill take some more pics. Id love to pull the head off just to see but not up to doing it.

Ive got an offer for the car as is, so likely it will be sold like this for spares.
Old 1st October 2016, 03:08 PM

So I expect what happened here is that something must have dropped into the air intake system when 'Joe Soap' from the Newbury highstreet tyre place that does servicing and MOTs changed the air filters.

Said item transversed through the air intake system and ended up being thrown into the inlet. I may have stayed on top of the valve for a period of time, perhaps that is what the sound was. The point at which the car broke down on the motorway is likely when said item had then either jammed the valve open or fallen through and ended up meeting with the valve on the way up.

Irrespective, the only logic, less than 2 weeks after a major service is to pursue said highstreet chain for damages. I am sure once the engine is stripped further, we may find whatever was dropped into the engine.

I expect a big battle with said company, so lets see.

Old 1st October 2016, 05:49 PM

Clean break that , you could pursue it ,but you would need to find whatever had gone through the the engine to even start saying ' you caused this '
It could of been something left in there from the service ,it could be a genuine failure of something on the car ??

Engine would have to be stripped by a non partial independent engineer to find the root cause for any claim to stand a court case , all costs dosh .

I'm no legal expert but innocent till proven guilty and all that .......take that glow plug out of that cylinder just to see if it's intact , how do the valves look in the other ports ?

Doesn't rain but it pours .... bad luck Chaz
Old 1st October 2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Clean break that , you could pursue it ,but you would need to find whatever had gone through the the engine to even start saying ' you caused this '
It could of been something left in there from the service ,it could be a genuine failure of something on the car ??

Engine would have to be stripped by a non partial independent engineer to find the root cause for any claim to stand a court case , all costs dosh .

I'm no legal expert but innocent till proven guilty and all that .......take that glow plug out of that cylinder just to see if it's intact , how do the valves look in the other ports ?

Doesn't rain but it pours .... bad luck Chaz
Agreed, will be difficult to prove. Ill do a Social Media campaign if I need to. Perhaps I can never prove it, Ill sure as hell cost them more money than what my loss is.

It could be fatigue. But as you say, cold side of the engine, no issues for 30K miles and the engine packs up 10 days after they serviced it ...

Odd.
Old 1st October 2016, 08:59 PM

The other valves look OK from a quick look. Ive not done a lot more looking as yet.
Old 5th October 2016, 02:29 PM

So after a lot of fuss, the company that has serviced the car is now offering to have it looked at by an 'independant' called Motorman.

Does anyone know of this company. Are they truly independant?

Considering this is a very strange failure, just after a major service, what % of this could be likely a wear and tear failure? I suspect virtually none, however as the car is basically sold (for spares), to be collected on Friday, I dont want to send the car for a teardown if this will only end up in a 'sorry, but nothing wrong from our side'.

Thoughts?