A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 28th March 2023, 11:14 AM

Interesting. I don't think I found this but it does sound feasible. Not sure if I changed the hazard switch or not tbh but its worth a try.
Old 28th March 2023, 03:24 PM

Thanks for all your input Steamship and MJ. Looks like a job for the weekend owing to lack of time and dicey weather. I think it is within my limited capability.

MJ can I substitute WD40 for contact cleaner?

Is it prudent to get hold of a new hazard flash unit if such an item is available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Keep a close eye on the MAF error and load signal implausible in the TCU as that can have an impact on the gearbox, both shift quality and consequently longevity. If it has a common supply or ground with the other bits that are having issues then it could simply not be giving a signal at times, but if its actually failed and giving a duff load signal that needs sorting asap.
Only had one small 'thump' in the gearbox happen last week when the traction control / abs went nuts whilst getting battered with snow up in Newcastle. Since then has been shifting smoothly. Will run another scan after the weekend's fiddling.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!

Last edited by strummagnet; 28th March 2023 at 03:31 PM.
Old 28th March 2023, 03:50 PM

All those engine components are run from the same fuse - S117 'control element fuse' which is a yellow 20A in the ECU box. I'd suggest replacing the fuse and giving the fuse holder terminals a spray with contact cleaner / WD40. Its likely there is some corrosion or grot on the terminals from when it was damp in there.

I have a box of hazard switches if you want one posting, or are passing to pick one up
Old 7th April 2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
All those engine components are run from the same fuse - S117 'control element fuse' which is a yellow 20A in the ECU box. I'd suggest replacing the fuse and giving the fuse holder terminals a spray with contact cleaner / WD40. Its likely there is some corrosion or grot on the terminals from when it was damp in there.

I have a box of hazard switches if you want one posting, or are passing to pick one up
Checked in the ECU box and all fuses were in a state of corrosion. The 20A fell apart after tugging it out! Liberal amounts of contact cleaner and all fuses replaced.

I noticed some condensation to the underside of the ECU box lid. You would think there must be some way of ventilating this box to alleviate this?

Crash implausible error has disappeared.
All intermittent have gone.

On to the Airbag issue.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!

Last edited by strummagnet; 7th April 2023 at 04:39 PM.